Color genetics thread.

Pics
Oops!  I have a bad memory, I do apologize for any mistakes I've made here.

If possible, I'd have tried crossing the lavs with duckwing-anything as test cross, with a "clean" e+ being the best choice.

Considered a cross of lav with sebright or laced polish?  Could be a good test cross plus could be used for introduction for the lacing genes?

I HAVE considered the sebrights many times actually. Especially since they are a dime a dozen compared to the costly Gold Laced Orpingtons. However... I just couldn't get over the fact that I'd be working hard to breed up to standard size, AND I'd have to deal with crazy rose comb genetics then. I'd end up with walnuts, roses, and a small portion of peas. I keep having to remind myself that to save a lot of time and culling in the future, I've got to stick with the Orps...

I HAVE considered the sebrights many times actually. Especially since they are a dime a dozen compared to the costly Gold Laced Orpingtons. However... I just couldn't get over the fact that I'd be working hard to breed up to standard size, AND I'd have to deal with crazy rose comb genetics then. I'd end up with walnuts, roses, and a small portion of peas. I keep having to remind myself that to save a lot of time and culling in the future, I've got to stick with the Orps...

Anything dominant is easy to keep in or totally erase from a line. I would not worry about rose comb at all. If it's present, it's right there, no ifs or buts. Easy peasy. Recessives and polygenes(white earlobes, leg feathering) are the tough cases.

It may be slightly annoying down the line on a project and hit on a bird that happens to have everything you want... except the rose comb is there. However by crossing with a good non-rosecomb partner, you would be able to cull out all the rose comb offspring.

The worst issue would be henny feathering, if you did not want it. There is no way to visually tell if a hen has it and some henny cockerels will either be partially or almost entirely cock feathered until their second year..

I do understand the size concern- my project had involved bantam sized line also so it was not an issue using sebrights.. but if it were, I would have went with laced polish if orps were not available(even though I cannot stand crests.. it is easy to get rid of duplex comb, well that's a slight challenge..).

Anything dominant is easy to keep in or totally erase from a line. I would not worry about rose comb at all. If it's present, it's right there, no ifs or buts. Easy peasy. Recessives and polygenes(white earlobes, leg feathering) are the tough cases.

It may be slightly annoying down the line on a project and hit on a bird that happens to have everything you want... except the rose comb is there. However by crossing with a good non-rosecomb partner, you would be able to cull out all the rose comb offspring.

The worst issue would be henny feathering, if you did not want it. There is no way to visually tell if a hen has it and some henny cockerels will either be partially or almost entirely cock feathered until their second year..

I do understand the size concern- my project had involved bantam sized line also so it was not an issue using sebrights.. but if it were, I would have went with laced polish if orps were not available(even though I cannot stand crests.. it is easy to get rid of duplex comb, well that's a slight challenge..).
Finally ! Someone agrees with me on rose comb . I have heard this so many times . Rose comb is hard to get rid of . Just not so . Glad to see good info being given .

Finally ! Someone agrees with me on rose comb . I have heard this so many times . Rose comb is hard to get rid of . Just not so . Glad to see good info being given .

Well, if that's how you both feel, maybe I'll do my initial cross with sebrights, then cross those to the gold laced Orpingtons (that'll be hatching next month). Since the Orps have single combs, that will make the genetics of rose vs pea simpler by cutting out the walnut possibility (correct?). The orpingtons will also help a great deal with size...

Really? People believe that...now that is funny!
lau.gif

I've seen more issues with trying to keep a Cushion Comb pure...Bro W the creator of the Chantecler breed was plagued for decades with rose or peas springing forth...gets sorta depressing if singles start up but I always figure them chooks are set on going back to wild type, no matter what WE may be intending.
hmm.png

Well, if that's how you both feel, maybe I'll do my initial cross with sebrights, then cross those to the gold laced Orpingtons (that'll be hatching next month). Since the Orps have single combs, that will make the genetics of rose vs pea simpler by cutting out the walnut possibility (correct?). The orpingtons will also help a great deal with size...

Walnut, strawberry, cushion comb; all breed names for pea and rose comb genetics combined with certain modifiers for each expression of these comb genetics.

You may have to watch for the single dose of PEA comb combined with single comb and how that sometimes mimics a single comb. Leaf or Blade combs are thought to be a single (heterozygous) dose of PEA COMB with wild type single (P/p"+"). Sorta like the middle section of the pea comb is expressed all by itself.
tongue.png

Never had a blade comb but seen photos...pics look like a single that has had the points sloughed off.

I'd also make sure and select for a good line of Orps to use...I've seen projections of size but it was all in profuse long feathers without any substance (weight) behind it.

Doggone & Chicken UP!

Tara Lee Higgins
Higgins Rat Ranch Conservation Farm, Alberta, Canada

So remind me again...your objective was? Something with lavender and red I think...and big with a single comb or? What coloured eggs...olive I think?

Too many changes in how to get there and I forgot where you were going.
barnie.gif

So remind me again...your objective was?  Something with lavender and red I think...and big with a single comb or?  What coloured eggs...olive I think? 

Too many changes in how to get there and I forgot where you were going.:barnie

Isabel laced olive Eggers. :)
Except, gold/red dilutes to cream with isabel. So it will be cream with lavender lace.
Ideally, I'd move more towards Ameraucana standard with each generation.

Can someone tells me what causes this?

Whole body.

Chest.

Wings.

My question is why would he/she have red wing marks and white chest marks.

Haha I was having a little bit of fun tossing all that out but in all seriousness, many of us would be happy to give answers to any questions.

Do you have a project or ?? in mind?
No not at this point. I've got a couple ideas simmering, but for now I'm just enjoying learning some basics about genetics.

I was asking because have some barnyard mix eggs in the incubator from 2 black cochin roosters and a wheaten ameraucana rooster. So I was mainly wondering what colors I could look forward to with those guys. I have a few golden laced (various breed) girls in that flock that the black boys prefer. I was wondering if those chicks would probably mostly turn out black. I was sort of correct LOL but not for all the advanced reasons you gave me. Cool stuff.

No not at this point.  I've got a couple ideas simmering, but for now I'm just enjoying learning some basics about genetics.

I was asking because have some barnyard mix eggs in the incubator from 2 black cochin roosters and a wheaten ameraucana rooster.  So I was mainly wondering what colors I could look forward to with those guys.  I have a few golden laced (various breed) girls in that flock that the black boys prefer.  I was wondering if those chicks would probably mostly turn out black.  I was sort of correct LOL but not for all the advanced reasons you gave me.  Cool stuff.    
I think they will all turn out mostly black. With maybe some leakage. But I am by no means an expert.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom