Color genetics thread.

Pics
I would use a cuckoo male over blue copper females . Then blue cuckoo females back to cuckoo . Do this until the males are free of any red .

You would be much better off to use blue or splash with a cuckoo, especially ones based on silver (SS). That would avoid introducing some of the reds from a black copper. Of course most of the folks with blue Marans probably have no idea if their birds are silver or gold. If you can find a silver based blue it would save you a few years of breeding red out of your birds. You will most likely need to find some serious breeders of blues to get what you need. Its a fairly simple project so I wouldn't be surprised if they are already available.

Could someone on this thread offer me their opinion on this little bantam cochin's feathering? I would be very thankful.
I have to eggs that I incubated from a mixed color flock, many possibilities of parents. Both hatched out appearing to have down that is partridge pattern for adult birds. While I don't question the pattern, I would like to understand the white feathers on the second chick. I know some basics on color but this is not something I've read about before. Please help!
At 2 days old:

Here they are as week old babies:

They are six weeks old now and the bird in the second picture below is my curiosity:

Appears to be mottling. Mottle is present in cochins, so it would seem likely there were either mottleds and/or birds carrying mottle in the flock.

Mottling is a recessive, which basically it can be carried unseen and seem to 'pop up' in the offspring.

Some mottled carriers do throw a few white feathers either while growing then lose them or continue to hold either a very few white feathers or tiny white tips on a few feathers.

So that chick might be a mottled partridge...

Appears to be mottling.  Mottle is present in cochins, so it would seem likely there were either mottleds and/or birds carrying mottle in the flock.

Mottling is a recessive, which basically it can be carried unseen and seem to 'pop up' in the offspring.

Some mottled carriers do throw a few white feathers either while growing then lose them or continue to hold either a very few white feathers or tiny white tips on a few feathers.

So that chick might be a mottled partridge...
Are these polish carriers of mottled they have a few white spots on their chest.

Is it possible to get a chicken that is blue with white lacing, or a white one with blue lacing?

The latter is easier and already exists- blue laced silver wyandottes. To create your own, cross a bird with blue/splash with a silver lace and select the blues to breed back with pure silver laces each generation.

It would be interesting to breed for as the splash version would come out all white or nearly so. To get true breeding, you would have to use lavender.. and that will be a difficult project as lavender is recessive.... no way to tell which birds have lavender unless one parent is a lavender.

blue with white lacing....... as far as I can think of right now, only is possible on birchen with selection for lots of lacing. Very difficult and as is, there are very few birchens with white lacing over most of their body.

There is no way to have blue with white lacing as on buff lace polish though.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom