Color genetics thread.

Pics
Can someone hopefully help me figure out this guys color codes? He looks one copy cuckoo.. So no way to get black sexlinked with him in first generation .. You might can do down color sexing but you'd have to do a few test crosses first. And any hint on if mixing him with another CL hybrid, a Cuckoo Maran, a Blue Andalusian, or a silver laced wyandotte would make sexlink chicks? He is a mix but he did have the spot on his head, his dad is CL/mom unknown.

Can someone hopefully help me figure out this guys color codes? And any hint on if mixing him with another CL hybrid, a Cuckoo Maran, a Blue Andalusian, or a silver laced wyandotte would make sexlink chicks? He is a mix but he did have the spot on his head, his dad is CL/mom unknown.
I'm not really good with the proper color names but to me he looks crele. Maybe someone acquainted with colors will come along and give you a better answer. .

http://kippenjungle.nl/Overzicht.htm

I'm trying to use this calculator, but I can't seem to make a bird that looks like my roo.

That is really a fun thing to use, but some of those are rally hard for me to interpret.

The thing that I've found out though is that you have to know genetics the terms and letter formulas and such. I usually pick a color that is as close as possible to my rooster and hen color as possible. It is pretty accurant but with out the proper adjustments to the genetics profile below the pictures it is not going to be exactly what the chart shows.

I'm just getting too old to get too muxh of tge genetics into my brain.

Can someone hopefully help me figure out this guys color codes?

And any hint on if mixing him with another CL hybrid, a Cuckoo Maran, a Blue Andalusian, or a silver laced wyandotte would make sexlink chicks? He is a mix but he did have the spot on his head, his dad is CL/mom unknown.

Too much unknowns. Legbars seem to be genetic mystery still, could be either e+ or eb.

The other parent was yellow legged for sure as yellow skin is recessive. He is looking a little dark and has brown on breast, could be Mh.. but could be other modifiers if he was crossed with somehting buff. when using the calculator with him, use B/b+ for single dose barring.

No reliable sexlinking with any of the hens listed. The only possible guesses could be on some cockerels out of him and marans and hybrid IF she is barred. Those B/B cockerels might have a large head spot... or maybe not. And small head spot could be either pullet or cockerel with single dose B.

The only possible sex linking is with the silver wyandotte, but it may not be possible to sex by chick down color very reliably... may have to wait for their feathers to grow out.

I'm curious about the genetics behind birds that are mainly solid white, but with the occasional colored feather showing through. For example, a bird like the one below. He is a "Spangled" Russian Orloff, I put spangled in quotes because while that is what they call the color of his parents, they are technically speckled or mille fleur, similar to a Speckled Sussex. But this excessive white seems to pop up in the breed on occasion, from parents who are normal colored. Even the example photos of the breed on this page look like my boy https://www.backyardchickens.com/products/russian-orloff
I've included a couple correctly colored birds at the end of this thread, they are probably relatives of mine, since they are all from the same breeder.

On the left one that is properly marked, on the right one that has started to get to much white. The amount of white increases as they age and molt, however the breeder hasn't had one start out "normal" and then end up looking like mine. The ones like mine seem to be that way from the beginning.

I'm curious about the genetics behind birds that are mainly solid white, but with the occasional colored feather showing through.  For example, a bird like the one below.  He is a "Spangled" Russian Orloff, I put spangled in quotes because while that is what they call the color of his parents, they are technically speckled or mille fleur, similar to a Speckled Sussex.  But this excessive white seems to pop up in the breed on occasion, from parents who are normal colored.  Even the example photos of the breed on this page look like my boy 

On the left one that is properly marked, on the right one that has started to get to much white.  The amount of white increases as they age and molt, however the breeder hasn't had one start out "normal" and then end up looking like mine.  The ones like mine seem to be that way from the beginning.

I can't completely explain spangling to you, but I can try to help. From what I've researched, true spangling has a dump of pigment with the remainder of the feather tip white because there is no more color to pass to that portion of the feather.. And with no other pattern modifiers. If you have white feathers with no color buildup dumped before it on the shaft I do not think the color is spangling. The location on the body also plays a part in that locations color..

I also have spangled Russian Orloffs, but my concern was opposite of yours. My flock all started with a solid mahogany base.. Then about two months ago (6 mos old) black flecks started to appear and now some of those flecks are starting to be tipped with white.

I have also read balancing where on the feather and at what age the spangling is best is one of the hardest patterns to get uniform. Females typically show the pattern better so special focus should be on perfecting them. I'd recommend adding a breeder with good black dumping to help get your pattern back.

Please update us, as I will do the same.

This pullet had maybe 10-15 white dots on her entire body 2 months ago and almost no black ticking.

This picture you can see the feathers fluffed out more.

Same pullet 2 months ago

I can't completely explain spangling to you, but I can try to help. From what I've researched, true spangling has a dump of pigment with the remainder of the feather tip white because there is no more color to pass to that portion of the feather.. And with no other pattern modifiers. If you have white feathers with no color buildup dumped before it on the shaft I do not think the color is spangling. The location on the body also plays a part in that locations color..

I also have spangled Russian Orloffs, but my concern was opposite of yours. My flock all started with a solid mahogany base.. Then about two months ago (6 mos old) black flecks started to appear and now some of those flecks are starting to be tipped with white.

I have also read balancing where on the feather and at what age the spangling is best is one of the hardest patterns to get uniform. Females typically show the pattern better so special focus should be on perfecting them. I'd recommend adding a breeder with good black dumping to help get your pattern back.

You might look at the various photos Jodi/riddleme has posted on BYC and also FB showing the progression of spangling in her birds. She feels less white as a youngster is good because they will increase in the amount of white as they go through each molt. Did yours have any white on them at all as youngsters? I can't swear to it, as I wasn't tracking bands, but I think the bird in the very back is one of the pullets I have now (the ones in front are cockerels). If not, she looked just like that.

She doesn't have a lot of white, yet, but should get more as she matures.

I expect she will mature to look like this bird, who is probably an aunt, cousin or ?? My birds are from Jodi.

I had a strange question. While on BYC I saw a photo of a gorgeous snowy tan colored hen with dark brown hackle feathers. She was one of the most beautiful hens I've ever seen. However, I can't find the picture now! Does anyone know the genetics behind how to make a chicken like this or have a similar picture of one?

Thanks.
smile.png

I had a strange question. While on BYC I saw a photo of a gorgeous snowy tan colored hen with dark brown hackle feathers. She was one of the most beautiful hens I've ever seen. However, I can't find the picture now! Does anyone know the genetics behind how to make a chicken like this or have a similar picture of one?

Thanks. :)
I would also like to know this.

Back
Top Bottom