Color genetics thread.

Pics
So I was wondering what a wheaten cock and a silver grey dorking hen cross would look like? I was thinking about trying the cross, but if they turn out to be a boring color I'd rather not. Thanks!!

So I was wondering what a wheaten cock and a silver grey dorking hen cross would look like? I was thinking about trying the cross, but if they turn out to be a boring color I'd rather not. Thanks!!
The cockerels will be golden Duckwing . That is carrying silver and gold . Silver and gold are sex linked so the hens will be pure for gold . Pattern will be halfway between wheaten and silver hen but gold / wheaten .

The cockerels will be golden Duckwing . That is carrying silver and gold . Silver and gold are sex linked so the hens will be pure for gold . Pattern will be halfway between wheaten and silver hen  but gold /  wheaten .

Thanks for responding! So would the hens look a little like welsummer hens? I'm having trouble picturing it. Maybe I'll have to try the cross just to see

Last edited:
What color is my hen? I am thinking blue duckwing. Any other ideas?

Last edited:
Hi all! What is the difference between Birchen & Columbian, in layman's terms? Thanks in advance!
smile.png
Birchen is mostly black bird with silver in the hackle, neck, and chest area. Males will also have silver in their saddle and wing-bow feathers.
Columbian is when the 'pattern' gene is limited to the hackles, primary wing feathers, and they tail; allowing the base color, either gold or silver, to express on the chest.

Thanks for the response. They sound very similar. Do you have any pics of the difference? I have a roo that I'm trying to decide if he's one or the other or neither. Lol I can't seem to attach a pic from my phone but he is in my photos on my page. He's a Blue Brahma.

Thanks for the response. They sound very similar. Do you have any pics of the difference? I have a roo that I'm trying to decide if he's one or the other or neither. Lol I can't seem to attach a pic from my phone but he is in my photos on my page. He's a Blue Brahma.
Brahma would be Columbian .

Back
Top Bottom