Colorado

Hi fellow Coloradans-
I'm looking for some eggs to stick in the incubator (hopefully next week). Anyone have fertile eggs in the Denver-Boulder-Ft.Collins area that I could pick up? Barnyard mixes are great but I'd be especially thrilled to find Speckled Sussex/Barnevelder/Marans/EE. I'd take anywhere from a dozen to 4 dozen.

Thanks!

I candled last night before removing the turner from the incubator. Yuck. Out of 9 eggs that showed good developement 10 days ago, only two seem viable. The dismal hatches for the year continue. Hopefully these two will hatch, but I'm not holding my breathe. Hopefully next year goes better.

The ingredients vary based on the season but here are the primary grains used: Organic lentils, organic wheat, organic millet, organic field peas, organic barley, organic yellow flax, organic buckwheat, organic black turtle beans
Our feed also has added nutrients and herbs to improve the health of your flock. They include: calcium carbonate, organic amaranth, naturally preserved medhaden fish meal, Helfter organic poultry premix
I also add a 1/2 cup a day of Omega Fields Omega 3 source.
Plus other treats as they free range for 4 hours a day. Always tearing up my veggies eating plenty of greens and bugs I hope. I also spoil them with frozen grapes, watermelon or other snacks, often raw meats from leftover hunting, or left over dinners.
and Organic Apple cider vinegar in water every few days.
Does anyone have any input? I am just "winging" it so anything is appreciated !! Have a great week.
I have always heard that you should cook beans before giving them to chickens. But I guess if the concentration in the mix is not very high, then you should be fine with whatever is in raw beans that isn't so good for chickens.

To introduce new birds to the flock, I use an old dog ex-pen, 36" high, with a hardware cloth top zip tied on. I have it inside the run, so they can see one another. Does this mean there will be no issues when I release the new bird into the run? Absolutely not. It does minimize them, though. I put the new bird on the roost in the coop at night after all the others have gone to bed. There is sometimes a brief ruckus in there, but they can't see at night, so not much, it's just a matter of the new bird finding a spot to sleep if it doesn't stay on the roost, which they sometimes won't.

This can last anywhere from days to weeks, depending on the temperaments of the new bird and the existing flock. If you see signs of stress, try adding electrolytes to the water. As others point out, often easiest introductions take place outside the run, if you are able to free range, and offer a treat to all that doesn't really require fighting for - several small pieces of apple, scattered scratch, meal worms, etc.

I cultivate chickens......lol

l

Last edited:

This is how hot it's been, though I don't have to tell you
tongue.png
Here's Trixie seriously considering jumping in the pool. She sat there for minutes and kept ducking (get it) her head in the water.

Mketchum how is your new girl doing?

To introduce new birds to the flock, I use an old dog ex-pen, 36" high, with a hardware cloth top zip tied on. I have it inside the run, so they can see one another. Does this mean there will be no issues when I release the new bird into the run? Absolutely not. It does minimize them, though. I put the new bird on the roost in the coop at night after all the others have gone to bed. There is sometimes a brief ruckus in there, but they can't see at night, so not much, it's just a matter of the new bird finding a spot to sleep if it doesn't stay on the roost, which they sometimes won't. This can last anywhere from days to weeks, depending on the temperaments of the new bird and the existing flock. If you see signs of stress, try adding electrolytes to the water. As others point out, often easiest introductions take place outside the run, if you are able to free range, and offer a treat to all that doesn't really require fighting for - several small pieces of apple, scattered scratch, meal worms, etc.

So I introduced a new hen to my flock. My birds are 16 weeks the new one is a year old. My other birds are so mean to her that she walks around scared or sits inside the coop alone without food and water. I have to get her out and separate them for her to eat. I'm just not sure the best way to make sure they are nice and accept her...any ideas? Thanks!! As of right now the new one sits on the perch sleeping and the others huddle in the corner away from her...

Usually you want to try to introduce them without putting them in the same pen.  A lot of people make a smaller run (large enough so that they can get away from the other girls and can't be picked at through the fence) next to the main run with food and water so that the others can't hurt the new one.  They do this for at least a few days if not over a week, so that they become accustom to the new hen, they will kill a new hen sometimes so watch out.  You may want to take her inside and quarantine her for a few days then try again with her in her own area.  It will help her relax and the others forget.  I would suggest to do this until the others are calm around her, maybe take her in at night so she has some coverage.  

If anyone has any advice I welcome it, this is all I remember.  :confused:

So I introduced a new hen to my flock. My birds are 16 weeks the new one is a year old. My other birds are so mean to her that she walks around scared or sits inside the coop alone without food and water. I have to get her out and separate them for her to eat. I'm just not sure the best way to make sure they are nice and accept her...any ideas? Thanks!! As of right now the new one sits on the perch sleeping and the others huddle in the corner away from her...

Usually you want to try to introduce them without putting them in the same pen.  A lot of people make a smaller run (large enough so that they can get away from the other girls and can't be picked at through the fence) next to the main run with food and water so that the others can't hurt the new one.  They do this for at least a few days if not over a week, so that they become accustom to the new hen, they will kill a new hen sometimes so watch out.  You may want to take her inside and quarantine her for a few days then try again with her in her own area.  It will help her relax and the others forget.  I would suggest to do this until the others are calm around her, maybe take her in at night so she has some coverage.  

If anyone has any advice I welcome it, this is all I remember.  :confused:

My advice is def slow on the introduction.  With my place I will often put the new chickens in a dog kennel and face the opening where they see each.  Then when I let I them free range I let them all out together.  That way they have room to roam and test boundaries.  I usually try this for 3-4 days.  Expect some conflict but should be okay.  Good luck
I read this advice somewhere on the internet with in the last 1.5 years and it worked for me personally.  

Thank you so much everyone! They are ok free ranging but still pick on her in tight quarters. She does however take over the roost the others won't roost with her. This morning it looked like maybe two were roosting. Idk I'm just hoping for the best...she's so sweet they should love her lol

Back
Top Bottom