Colorado

I candled the quale eggs that i received fro the woman down the road. So far 8 of the 9 are developing. The other may be also bit it is really dark and it is hard to tell. It will remaign in the incubator until the next candling and lockdown.
Thanks for the lending of the incubator Wendy.

I have a Free rooster if any one is interested. He is a OE too I hatched myself. Neighbors are starting to complain and I'm not supposed to have one. He pecked at me yesterday so that was the last straw. Any one wants him let me know. Chicken soup is fine too. He is about 6 or 7 months old I think. Can't remember. I'm in CO Springs/Fountain.

10F43050-482F-4E7A-9367-97F29F926B6D-2403-00000093591DDA9A_zps10e9ed92.jpg

Nasty roosters taste the best.....

A few weeks ago I dumped two trailer loads of old bark mulch in the chicken yard. Since then we have been spreading out the scratch grains on the pile, and letting the poultry deal with spreading it around.
Yesterday morning I noticed what the chickens had already discovered....

SPROUTS! As they scratched around, much of the grain wa getting covered back up, and with the rains we have been getting, the mulch soaked it up and is the perfect medium for sprouting grains. The chickens scratch down a bit and are finding treasure troves of newly sprouted grains. Now there are many i foot diameter holes in the mulch, some as much as 6-8 inches deep. And each hen defends her sprout hole too. The turkeys just wait until a hen wanders off, and they rush in and devour whatever sprouts are left. I think they find it easier to let the hens do the work....

MINCHI: Your hens aren't eating any of the sprouts in their pen for some reason. Weird. The run is now nearly a carpet of green, and they ignore it.

Nasty roosters taste the best.....

A few weeks ago I dumped two trailer loads of old bark mulch in the chicken yard. Since then we have been spreading out the scratch grains on the pile, and letting the poultry deal with spreading it around.
Yesterday morning I noticed what the chickens had already discovered....

SPROUTS! As they scratched around, much of the grain wa getting covered back up, and with the rains we have been getting, the mulch soaked it up and is the perfect medium for sprouting grains. The chickens scratch down a bit and are finding treasure troves of newly sprouted grains. Now there are many i foot diameter holes in the mulch, some as much as 6-8 inches deep. And each hen defends her sprout hole too. The turkeys just wait until a hen wanders off, and they rush in and devour whatever sprouts are left. I think they find it easier to let the hens do the work....

MINCHI: Your hens aren't eating any of the sprouts in their pen for some reason. Weird. The run is now nearly a carpet of green, and they ignore it.

That is really odd? They loved eating the grass when they were home. Especially new grass.

I also have the pullet-shut and I love it. The pullet-shut opens and closes kinda like a regular door. It is run off a battery charged by a solar panel (all sold by the maker). www.chickendoors.com/

A recent one on the market and one I would investigate further if I was buying again, cuz it's cheaper, is the Ador1. This door has the more common up and down closing cycle. This door is run off regular batteries (I think I remember "D" Cells, maybe "C", and the batteries are supposed to last for at least a year.

There is a thread on here devoted to the Ador1. Here's the link to where I have read. The one problem I see that they seem to have is it sometimes takes awhile to fill your order. Seem to have good communication with their customers tho, and helpful with any problems.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/740659/ador1-automatic-coop-door/300

Last edited:
Just wanted everyone to know that I have some turkey poults for cheap. She hatched out 8 and I have three more hens on nest that should be hatching weekly for the next few weeks. They are real Beltsville White. I have never shipped but I am willing to meet interested parties in Colorado. I live in NW CO, over 7000 ft and they do just fine in the winter without heat. They do have their own loafing shed I have had them for three years and never lost one yet to vermin. Just give me a PM if interested.

frow.gif
Welcome to all you newbies! It appears at least 2 of you are looking for places in CO. This is just from personal experience but Breckenridge is the absolute best place to live. Especially if you ride a snowboard.. Franktown is nice, too. Telluride is gorgeous if you can afford it. What am I saying? Just about everywhere here is a nice place to live, with a couple exceptions I won't mention on this thread. Good luck!
Just don't end up in one of the places they advertise as "45 minutes from Breckenridge". That is South Park. The land is cheap, but the area is flat, windy, very cold in the winter and only fit for cattle ranching unless you erect lots of outbuildings. I just mention it because the people who sell land there are pretty deceptive.

Back
Top Bottom