Colorado

This guy stopped by last night for a visit. Gave him some food & water. He hung out today but seems to have since moved on. I'm thinking he's a city park bird. Since we are about 35ish blocks east of the park??? Who knows. It was fun seeing him around.
You're really brave! I got a really good bite on the rump from one when I was little. Now I steer clear.

9 out of 9 hatched! I now have 9 little quail to take care of for a few weeks. Right around 7 weeks till i get eggs from these little ones.

9 out of 9 hatched! I now have 9 little quail to take care of for a few weeks. Right around 7 weeks till i get eggs from these little ones.

What are you planning on doing with the extra ones? I have heard that space and male/female ratio is critical for health.
I am excited to be able to follow your progress.

Froggy, just a thought. The hatcheries have been known to ship the entirely wrong breed out. Given you say the color is wrong, the body type is wrong, and this one doesn't look like any of the others, is it possible it's an entirely different breed?

Started getting some pullet eggs Wednesday, guess some of mine have decided to ignore the mean old broody hen and lay some eggs. I sure wish this broody would give it up. her comb is almost a grayish color after 5 weeks of sitting. But she seems determined to stay on the nest. Altho in the last couple of days she's quick to leave the nest when I call everyone for scratch or garden refuse, which she hadn't been doing before.

After all my complaining tho, I hope she goes broody next year, when I want to get some SS eggs to put under a broody. LOL, I got SS this year cuz I thought they had more of a tendency to go broody. If they do, maybe I'll want some other kind of eggs, not sure I want more than 3 broody hens at a time.

Hello, hope everyone got some of that good rain yesterday. I finished my latest project today, made a little patio in front of the coop with concrete pavers. It was bare dirt and dead grass before.

Froggy, just a thought. The hatcheries have been known to ship the entirely wrong breed out. Given you say the color is wrong, the body type is wrong, and this one doesn't look like any of the others, is it possible it's an entirely different breed?

Started getting some pullet eggs Wednesday, guess some of mine have decided to ignore the mean old broody hen and lay some eggs. I sure wish this broody would give it up. her comb is almost a grayish color after 5 weeks of sitting. But she seems determined to stay on the nest. Altho in the last couple of days she's quick to leave the nest when I call everyone for scratch or garden refuse, which she hadn't been doing before.

After all my complaining tho, I hope she goes broody next year, when I want to get some SS eggs to put under a broody. LOL, I got SS this year cuz I thought they had more of a tendency to go broody. If they do, maybe I'll want some other kind of eggs, not sure I want more than 3 broody hens at a time.

I didn't say all that. I have no idea what happened. If I were to guess, it would be that she's the same breed (Black star), with a black head. The markings and color look the same to me, other than the head......
hu.gif

Hatcheries can definitely make mistakes. But sex-link are hard to mess up. 1st gen, anyway

Its been a busy couple of days. Went to Louisville CO (near boulder) to attent the funeral of an aunt. Saw lots of cousins that I hadn't seen for several years. Massive rain Saturday evening. Some more yesterday.
Took the week off to get everything done for Beth's party this Saturday. I'm on my way out this morning as soon as the chores are done to Calhan to buy a pig at the auction. Tomorrow is butcher the pig day.....

Back
Top Bottom