Colorado

Stopping in to say hi!! Hope everyone is having a great weekend.

I am happy to be home and having a casual relaxing day. I love Saturday and Sundays I get to spy on the coop to see whos doing what. Last I looked there was a RIR, NHR and BA all in one nesting box? Silly birds. I am super excited to see if the BA is laying a egg. She is 28 weeks, she has started the squat. I have gotten two new eggs this week but unsure if its the BA or Egyptian @ 24 weeks. One of the first times I got to pet Blue in her squat this week. Made me happy.

We are considering building a second coop to divide up the 8 birds into two coops. My thought process is hoping for more production. I think our coop is big enough but not sure if the run area is??? It was my husbands idea. I am totally embracing it but he has yet to start construction. :)
With 8 birds old enough to lay and a good day for us is 3 eggs. Which might happen 2x a week? They get at least 4 hours of free range in the yard everyday. so I thought that would be enough but maybe not?

Guess Im off like a dirty shirt! Going to can up some tomato sauce today. Need to put up some pickled peppers and squash too. I am picking up 20# of organic peaches tomorrow for my fruit share. Gonna be making jellies tomorrow.
Then Monday coming down to Joyful Noise Farm to pick up a load feed.
Have a great one friends!!
B

Today I got the egg on the bottom who I'm pretty sure came from Blue.
The egg on ltop I got 2 of this week. I think those are the Egyptain.
Either way so excited!!!! Brings my egg total so far for the week 13.

Last edited:
So tomorrow we're going to get 4 baby chicks from the Elizabeth Big R. It's been 2 years since I've done this. I'll set up the 150 gallon water tank with some shavings, a heat lamp, cover, and some chick starter and water. Anything else we need?

So tomorrow we're going to get 4 baby chicks from the Elizabeth Big R. It's been 2 years since I've done this. I'll set up the 150 gallon water tank with some shavings, a heat lamp, cover, and some chick starter and water. Anything else we need?

A stool to sit on so you can watch them? :)

At Wendell's suggestion I've been adding molasses to the water the first few to several days, seems to have helped avoid pasty butt. I was in the Pueblo Big R last weekend and one of the bins of Straight Run chicks was looking about a week old. An employee saw me looking and asked if I wouldn't like to rescue them LOL. I have some SS x EF cross chicks and a few Silkie chicks right now, hopefully more on the way, so I declined :)

celebrate.gif
4 EGG DAY!!!!!
celebrate.gif

I can't remember the last time that happened!!!!! So 4 outta of 7 (should be 8 thou) I dream of the day all 8 would lay, or even 6 a day a couple days a week would make me happy!

Anyway I am stoked. Maybe we won't need to build a second coop if things start looking up????

Cheers!!

Back
Top Bottom