Colorado

Hi All - I'm in N. CO and have and breed light and laced (buff and gold) brahmas. I've been following along and learning from all - thought I'd say hello!
frow.gif

Welcome mes!

Howdy all :) Been so blasted busy lately, but I did make time for a nice visit with Coloradogal this morning, long overdue and very enjoyable.

I'm watching a few Egyptian Fayoumi x Speckled Sussex chicks grow up, there are 5 and I only plan to keep a couple but right now I don't have the first idea what they will look like, they're just cute brown chicks. Also have a few Silkie chicks that are a week old, if anyone is interested. Maybe this will be the weekend I get out there with a camera LOL.

One of my Catdance pullets started laying this week (yay!) and the 2 Fayoumi hens have been laying pretty reliably. I've noticed since the heat has returned the birds are pretty uncomfortable, today some were downright lethargic until the clouds finally covered the sun around 6 or so this evening. Those in the 4-6 months of age range seem to be having the most trouble with the heat. I'm in no hurry for winter, but I sure would take some cooler days.

Hi All,
I've been fallowing and thought I'd check in. We got our very first egg three days ago and one a day since then!
1f604.png
Everyone was so excited you would have thought it was Christmas,lol. The first one had a small hair line crack in it( is that normal?) and the second one had a wee little bit of poo on it, but we have gotten three! And one of my "hens" has slightly started crowing
1f633.png
the lady I bought her from said she laid eggs but I'm almost certain it's not her that's laying the ones we have gotten. It seems that there is never a dull moment when you have chickens, lol. Oh and any tips on cleaning/not cleaning and storing eggs would be appreciated.

Welcome mes!

Howdy all :) Been so blasted busy lately, but I did make time for a nice visit with Coloradogal this morning, long overdue and very enjoyable.
d
I'm watching a few Egyptian Fayoumi x Speckled Sussex chicks grow up, there are 5 and I only plan to keep a couple but right now I don't have the first idea what they will look like, they're just cute brown chicks. Also have a few Silkie chicks that are a week old, if anyone is interested. Maybe this will be the weekend I get out there with a camera LOL.

One of my Catdance pullets started laying this week (yay!) and the 2 Fayoumi hens have been laying pretty reliably. I've noticed since the heat has returned the birds are pretty uncomfortable, today some were downright lethargic until the clouds finally covered the sun around 6 or so this evening. Those in the 4-6 months of age range seem to be having the most trouble with the heat. I'm in no hurry for winter, but I sure would take some cooler days.
I am with you on the heat, but don;t want winter either, I would love for the flies to go away though! So an early frost is ok by me! I bet your landrace EF/SS will do wonderful where you are located. I think any chicken that is still growing and maturing will not deal as well with the heat as an older chicken. Also, read that the comb actually helps regulate the chickens body temp, so a small developing comb would not regulate as well as an older, bigger comb. imo

Congrats on your Catdance silkie that is laying! Looking forward to pictures! Also, I did a search on Midget turkeys, and several of the hatheries carry them, of course they are out of season right now, but Strombergs, and McMurry, and California Hathery does have them.

Onderchick, I try to keep clean straw in the laying boxes, this helps keep the eggs clean, although you can still end up with a dirty egg. If your are not going to incubate the egg, is ok to clean it with warm water and soap, at least that is what I do! Welcome! First eggs are always exciting, and they taste so much better than store bought eggs

Back
Top Bottom