Colorado

I've got a crazy question. Can a seven-month old go broody? My Austra-white has been glued to a nest for the last two days. She seems to be laying flat with her wings sort of spread out a bit. She doesn't want to come out, and gets irritated with me when I move her off. But as soon as I take her off, she goes outside, takes a drink, and pecks at the food for a minute or two, then goes right back in.

She's still laying, though, I think. (Unless there's another one laying a white egg, now.) She also seems to move to whatever next has the eggs in it. When I pull them out from under her, she moves to the next one after eggs are laid.

I don't see any obvious signs of injury. She gets very animated and active when I pick her up off of the nest. But she seems dehydrated. Her comb is looking pale and sort of flops over. She also seems to be "thinner" than normal. I don't know if I should be worried, or leave her alone.

Help?

Yes! I have a Cuckoo Marans that decided to go broody at 5 months! Then one of my older hens who frequently goes broody thought she should join her. They spent a few days in the A-frame tractor with no nest boxes. It didn't take much to break her of it. The older one is much more determined.

Keeping good thoughts for everyone's safety tonight. We have mainly been missed, only had 1/2 inch of rain in the last two days, but I know many of our members are wet and possibly flooding. We watched the news this evening and it looks like tonight's rain will cover a pretty large area. Hopefully all are prepared with enough provisions to get through a few days if roads are washed out.

I've got a crazy question. Can a seven-month old go broody? My Austra-white has been glued to a nest for the last two days. She seems to be laying flat with her wings sort of spread out a bit. She doesn't want to come out, and gets irritated with me when I move her off. But as soon as I take her off, she goes outside, takes a drink, and pecks at the food for a minute or two, then goes right back in.

She's still laying, though, I think. (Unless there's another one laying a white egg, now.) She also seems to move to whatever next has the eggs in it. When I pull them out from under her, she moves to the next one after eggs are laid.

I don't see any obvious signs of injury. She gets very animated and active when I pick her up off of the nest. But she seems dehydrated. Her comb is looking pale and sort of flops over. She also seems to be "thinner" than normal. I don't know if I should be worried, or leave her alone.

Help?
LOL.......BROODY BROODY BROODY.

On the page just before this one I posted about my 21 WEEK old Austra White who has also decided to go broody. Your description is a perfect one of a broody hen. My last broody was broody for 10 weeks and I never left an egg under her for long. She just kept sitting on the nest anyway.

Oh, someone asked earlier about whether chickens can tolerate wet feet for extended periods of time. They aren't exactly meant for it, but unless they are standing in actual water over their feet for days, they should be okay. It helps to offer them a dry spot to roost, even if it's just a 2x4 under a tarp - and I will also say, mine don't go into their dry coop until it's darkening, no matter how wet it is outside this time of year. The Sussex will stand under their coop where the ground is mostly dry, but the Fayoumis range everywhere even when it's drizzling with not a care in the world. I have a couple of Silkies who love to scratch through mud searching for whatever little critters they can find.

They're fairly sturdy little creatures in general, once fully feathered. Youngsters may need more protection of course, and if you see they aren't heading to dry/secure space by dusk, you may want to encourage them to shelter.

Overnight temps down my way haven't been anything that concern me so far this year, but I know at higher elevations if they're not dry and it's getting down into the 40s things are a bit different. Mtn Margie, is there anything in particular you are doing for your flock in this weather?

LOL.......BROODY BROODY BROODY.

On the page just before this one I posted about my 21 WEEK old Austra White who has also decided to go broody. Your description is a perfect one of a broody hen. My last broody was broody for 10 weeks and I never left an egg under her for long. She just kept sitting on the nest anyway.
Funny! I don't know how I missed that post. And another Austra White at that! Thank you, gardendufus and EHook518, for your replies. I feel a lot better. :)
I have the oddest chickens, I guess. I had an RIR molt at 10 months last year...right in the middle of winter. My husband thought she was dying! He was afraid to touch her. And now this goof-ball sitting on the nest. They must not have read any of the chicken manuals!
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom