Colorado

I need to build some removable shutters for my exposed openings. This will totally enclose them but will keep the wind off of them nicely. I will probably put a tarp on top of the sun room as well as the wall that is exposed to the north wind. That will help a lot with drafts in my coop. If i end up building the greenhouse structure this winter. I will put them in there this winter to supply carbon monoxide and fertilizer to the plants. First i have to get it built however.

I need to partially cover the peak vents in the main hen house to cut down on the cold wind.When it showed hard last year and blew, there were tiny snowflakes falling inside the coop when the wind drove the flakes THROUGH the screen! All of mine will be in there over the winter, so the small coops won't need anything.

Hi Everyone (waves hello),
Just thought I would check in and share that my RIR started laying (finally), but she's been pretty reliable. Yesterday was the first day in a week that I didn't find a brown egg. I think both the EE's are laying too because I'm getting smooth green eggs and chalky blue green eggs (but only about 1 every 3 days). I'm also getting a double yolk egg at least once per week.

I moved the Black Stars outside into a small coop of their own 2 weeks ago. They are still sleeping in a heap in the corner and won't roost. I suppose they will learn. They are still too small to go into the big coop with the older girls. Marigold growls and yells at them whenever they get too close to "her" chicken run.

I suppose it's time to prepare for winter...

Chilly morning, but a welcome change!!!!! We too plan on insulating our northern side of the coop. Just not sure what we are going to use. Been reading up on how important ventilation is, some say having it at the bottom is better than having it at the top, were combs can freeze. Not sure how to incorporate it in the bottom of the coop for winter.

Wouldn't you know it........my Wellie finally stopped being broody after about 10 weeks and immediately one of my 21 week old Austra Whites decided she needed to go broody too. Wish I could have more chickens with all these volunteer broodies.

Suncatcher just passing on what I had read about ventilation when I was building my coop....it is said that the reason you put your ventilation in high is that drafts are bad for the chickens and better to have the air movement over their heads, rather than moving around low, causing a draft on the chickens.

Wouldn't you know it........my Wellie finally stopped being broody after about 10 weeks and immediately one of my 21 week old Austra Whites decided she needed to go broody too. Wish I could have more chickens with all these volunteer broodies.

Suncatcher just passing on what I had read about ventilation when I was building my coop....it is said that the reason you put your ventilation in high is that drafts are bad for the chickens and better to have the air movement over their heads, rather than moving around low, causing a draft on the chickens.
Good to know!

We just put a wind turbine on our barn, over the middle stall, it has really helped with air circulation in there. I'm hoping it helps with moisture in there this winter as well. I read about cold and moisture causing some of the frost bite the chickens get on their combs.

Back
Top Bottom