Colorado

Pozees_ I've been afraid to get a silkie, for fear that it would get picked on my other chickens.
Are you experiencing that? W
Think of them as toy breed dogs - most of them haven't the first idea they're smaller. I have been running all the Reds together and the 6 juvenile Silkies separately this past week, and this morning I thought I'd just put them together again out in the larger run - except during the intervening week, the Black Silkie cockerel declared himself a man - THE man - and the minute I put him in with the RIR pullets - twice his size - he started dancing for them and thinking he was going to mate with them, which they disagreed with. That said, not even a feather flew, they had words and went about their business. I did put the Silkies back into their own run to avoid any potential problems. For the most part they are very peaceful. The only ones I've kept in a mixed group are the juveniles while they were housed with the RIR pullets, and it was the most peaceful pen in the coop.

Think of them as toy breed dogs - most of them haven't the first idea they're smaller. I have been running all the Reds together and the 6 juvenile Silkies separately this past week, and this morning I thought I'd just put them together again out in the larger run - except during the intervening week, the Black Silkie cockerel declared himself a man - THE man - and the minute I put him in with the RIR pullets - twice his size - he started dancing for them and thinking he was going to mate with them, which they disagreed with. That said, not even a feather flew, they had words and went about their business. I did put the Silkies back into their own run to avoid any potential problems. For the most part they are very peaceful. The only ones I've kept in a mixed group are the juveniles while they were housed with the RIR pullets, and it was the most peaceful pen in the coop.

That would have been humorous to watch, I have been torturing a friend of mine with pictures of silkies. She loves all things fuzzy.
tongue.gif

If it lays an egg, it's a chicken....no matter how dainty :)
Anyone doing anything special to their coops for the harsh winter everyone says is coming?

If it lays an egg, it's a chicken....no matter how dainty :).

Maybe a silky is a strange Manturian non flying pigeon. The black silky that i got from coloradogal is doing well and running around with my other 15 full sized hens just fine. She knows her place in the pecking order. She is not to friendly at this point however. I suspect she will get a bit more friendly when she starts to lay, as my other girls have done.

Anyone doing anything special to their coops for the harsh winter everyone says is coming?

I need to build some removable shutters for my exposed openings. This will totally enclose them but will keep the wind off of them nicely. I will probably put a tarp on top of the sun room as well as the wall that is exposed to the north wind. That will help a lot with drafts in my coop. If i end up building the greenhouse structure this winter. I will put them in there this winter to supply carbon monoxide and fertilizer to the plants. First i have to get it built however.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom