Colorado

Long Shadow Farm in Berthoud is the only place I know. I am processing some birds there next weekend. I have a roo that I need to get rid of too, no takers on craigslist for him either. 

Thank you Maggiemo! I already heard back from Kristin, so if you're going on Saturday morning, I hope to meet you.

Long Shadow Farm in Berthoud is the only place I know. I am processing some birds there next weekend. I have a roo that I need to get rid of too, no takers on craigslist for him either.

Dam it! I don't know why but I think I am now on a mission to save your roo. Just one more bird this year! Guess I will have to make a trip to Red Robin Wednesday, one of the Chicken peeps I know. I am sorry about your hen, it seams like she was wanting some love before she let go. I am sure she was glad you were there.

Last edited:
I live in just North of Colorado Springs and have had my Rhode Island Reds for one year now. They are awesome! I got eggs throughout the winter (not as many as summer) and they are very friendly. The only suggestion I would have is to make sure your coop is insulated. I had to bring them inside when the temp dipped below zero.

I live in just North of Colorado Springs and have had my Rhode Island Reds for one year now. They are awesome! I got eggs throughout the winter (not as many as summer) and they are very friendly. The only suggestion I would have is to make sure your coop is insulated. I had to bring them inside when the temp dipped below zero.
You do not need to bring them in. They will all do fine sub zero. Just keep them out of a draft. Never, ever, ever add a heat source to the coop. Too risky.

Mine live in a dam resort. My coop is huge with insulation and heating. They even have a nice accent wall. ;) They also have netting that block 70% of the sun light, a tarp that block all over half and a bucket of water that I put ice in to help them cool down in. I have the ability to use heat lamps since you could fit at least 20 birds in my coop and I have 3, soon to be 5 in it. I keep the ceramic heat lamps far away from the roost but due to the openness I have to have a little extra heat in the winter, it can have a slight draft in it.
My girls are spoiled, I know it. Time to go take them some frozen pomegranate and blueberries.
idunno.gif

yuckyuck.gif
"Time to go take them some frozen pomegranate and blueberries." Literally sitting here laughing out loud....

too funny
hide.gif

Greetings Vmotazedi!
welcome-byc.gif
and to the thread. You really didn't need to bring your chickens in... as long as there's no draft on them, they can handle sub zero temps with ease (Like Percheron Chick said). just give them a few extra calories at meal time and make sure their water isn't frozen.

Last edited:
Insulation is useful to keep a coop cool in summer, which is the main reason we are planning to insulate the shed coop this year (hopefully). Wish we'd placed that project ahead of some others now that it's hot. Drafts and moisture are the main threats in winter. There are advocates of keeping birds in "open air" coops year 'round, and their birds do fine.

I know i promised to post pictures a couple of days ago. But had way to much going on. More of the bricks to
put up and the fourth of j
july going on. I only have 25 more bricks to go after today and then to start on the upper shed portion. Here are a couple of pics.
Magimo. I am sorry to hear about your hen. I had to put down one earlier this spring that was laying internally. I know how it feels.

I'm sorry Maggie. It's tough when you have feelings for them even with the knowledge that they lived a good life. You always want them to live that good life a little longer. ;)

Has anyone ever heard of anti- crow collars?

There is a woman on Facebook that sells them. You have to measure the roosters neck and it costs $14/, but it claims to reduce their crow to around 10 - 15% of their crow without the collar. It looks like the wrist bands from Flashdance!

Back
Top Bottom