Colorado

Congratulations Maggiemo! Amazingly, I also got two responses to my craigslist ad, and will be bringing my Winston SLW roo to his new home tomorrow. So I won't be meeting you in Berthoud on Saturday.

It's also pretty amazing that a city animal control officer came by today, because one of my neighbors had turned me in. The officer was really kind and obviously
JAGGER FOUND A HOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:weee
A nice man with his little 10 year old son just came and collected him. They were so excited to have such a handsome bird.
Phew. Happy ending for all.

Congratulations Maggiemo! Amazingly, I also got two responses to my craigslist ad, and will be bringing my Winston SLW roo to his new home tomorrow. So I won't be meeting you in Berthoud on Saturday.

It's also pretty amazing that a city animal control officer came by today, because one of my neighbors had turned me in. The officer was really kind and obviously understands how difficult it is to find good homes for roos. He's checking back in a few days to follow up on the re-homing.

I'm keeping Kristin's number just in case another "guaranteed pullet" starts to crow.

Last edited:
^^ So I guess they were only 80% accurate vice the "promised" 90%... What's a mere 10% amongst friends? Just that much more meat for the (someones) pot
droolin.gif

Looks like 13 of the 30 consignment chicks (now close to 4 months old) will be going away this weekend. That will lower my numbers from about 125 to 112.
:D

I will also start separating out the culls from the potential keepers. Think of it as the first cut from the team...... After the cockerels are processed, and the culling is done, I plan on only keeping 16 breeder females, one older rooster (Lot), up to three new cockerels "to watch until breeding season), and a few other pullets and hens for eating egg production next spring. Over-wintering about 30 chickens total.......

As part of the process, I am thinking about finding new homes for up to 8 of my two year old hens. They are still laying, but production is off from last year, and I need the room for this year's pullets. These are NOT are not my breeders and are from hatchery stock. If anyone is interested, let me know and we can work something out. All these hens are Dominiques. Not show stock, not great SoP birds.

Looks like 13 of the 30 consignment chicks (now close to 4 months old) will be going away this weekend. That will lower my numbers from about 125 to 112.
big_smile.png

I will also start separating out the culls from the potential keepers. Think of it as the first cut from the team...... After the cockerels are processed, and the culling is done, I plan on only keeping 16 breeder females, one older rooster (Lot), up to three new cockerels "to watch until breeding season), and a few other pullets and hens for eating egg production next spring. Over-wintering about 30 chickens total.......

As part of the process, I am thinking about finding new homes for up to 8 of my two year old hens. They are still laying, but production is off from last year, and I need the room for this year's pullets. These are NOT are not my breeders and are from hatchery stock. If anyone is interested, let me know and we can work something out. All these hens are Dominiques. Not show stock, not great SoP birds.

That sounds like a good plan, and it will be a relief to get numbers back down over time, won't it?

So I've discovered that my favorite hen has mites. It must not be bad yet because they were only found under her wattle, non under wings or vent area. How should I treat a large flock (60+ chickens)? Also, the majority of them are for meat and I would like to treat them with something safe.. Any tips? I've never had a mite infestation before. My neighbor suggested dunking them in water with Dawn.

OK, I know that this is short notice but I just now thought of this. I am coming from TN to Denver to visit my daughter this extended weekend. Does anyone in the area have hatching eggs that could meet me in Denver so I could hand carry some home? PM with what you have and what you would want for them.

Back
Top Bottom