Colorado

Hiya Nora! Welcome to the world of chickens and the Colorado thread
frow.gif

welcome-byc.gif

Hey everyone.. I'm from Falcon, Colorado (just East of Colorado Springs)
I've had chickens since May of last year.... was going to have 10 hens and 1 roo.... I started my order with 20 straight run, so I was off to a good start in the chicken math class.
I ended up with 10 of each and an extra girl they threw in.... lost 2 girls and a boy due to attacks by my stupid dogs fairly early on. We butchered 4 roos, and have 3 more to go.
I got a wild hair and built an incubator and set 7 eggs.... got 4 babies.
jumpy.gif

I built a bigger incubator and set 35 eggs because someone wants to buy 20 chicks from me....
ya.gif
Hopefully I'll get at least 20 babies!
fl.gif

I picked up 3 Welsummer chicks at the Kiowa store yesterday because I want to get some of those gorgeous dark brown eggs.... and I have an order set up for turkeys at the end of this month.....
celebrate.gif

My hubby is freaking out a little....
hide.gif
I can't imagine why....
idunno.gif

Oh, and I really LOVE these smilies!!!!
smack.gif

http://www.elizabethcountrycorner.com//index.cfm?Page=docs/Chicks and More!
I know they were selling out of everything quite quickly when I was there... (No more jersey giants)
sad.png
Give them a call and ask if they have any more Wellsummers.... if they do, ask them to jot you down for some before heading out.

I hope you can get some! I know how long I was looking!!
fl.gif

Edited: cut and paste the whole first line.... to include "and more"

Last edited:
Holy Crap!!!!!!!! Get ready for some major wind!!! Here by the Utah border it is horrible!! The first gust of the storm blew half of the metal patio furniture (including a bar) off the deck. Please no power outages!!!!!
fl.gif
I have 4 different brooder lights on chicks and one incubator here at home and one at my classroom that I have to go put into lockdown today.
barnie.gif
Take cover
hide.gif

Quote:
It's horrible out here in the front range, too. I woke up in the middle of the night to take our flag down. I was afraid I'd wake up to it stuck in my windshield!! lol It's not as bad now, thankfully. I'm surprised we haven't had more stuff blow around. Yikes!!

Nora,
welcome-byc.gif

On the news this morning, they were interviewing someone who had all his chickens in the back of his truck as he was evacuating the Crystal Fire - just horrible up there. I hate to say it, but the rain and snow can't come in fast enough this afternoon. Our house burned down when I was in high school - something I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. That was over 40 years ago - I still remember it like it was yesterday.

Thanks for the welcome everyone! I can't wait to get my chicks! Did anyone in the Springs build their own coop? Hubby and I are going to try and start on ours in a week or two.

Nora

Back
Top Bottom