Colorado

Does anyone know the CO law for processing and selling poultry directly to a consumer? From my understanding as long as I do not sell more than 1000 birds AND have the proper labeling and record keeping then I am exempt from licensure.

But then the wording gets weird and says " A producer who raises and slaughters no more than one thousand poultry during each calendar year is exempt from the provisions of this article other than the record-keeping requirement in section 35-33-202 and the labeling requirements in section 35-33-301 if: (a) The producer does not buy or sell poultry products other than those produced from poultry raised on the producer's own farm; (b) The poultry do not move in interstate commerce; (c) The poultry are properly labeled; and (d) The poultry are healthy when slaughtered and the slaughter and processing are conducted under sanitary standards, practices, and procedures that produce poultry products that are sound, clean, and fit for use as human food when distributed by the producer. PAGE 261 - REVISED 2020

I can't find anything newer than 2020.

Does that mean I have to hatch out a bird to slaughter and sell or can I order broilers, raise them, and then process to sell? I was going to buy bulk to sell to some coworkers and possibly post it on a local site, but I do not want to be breaking any laws.

Does anyone know the CO law for processing and selling poultry directly to a consumer? From my understanding as long as I do not sell more than 1000 birds AND have the proper labeling and record keeping then I am exempt from licensure.

But then the wording gets weird and says " A producer who raises and slaughters no more than one thousand poultry during each calendar year is exempt from the provisions of this article other than the record-keeping requirement in section 35-33-202 and the labeling requirements in section 35-33-301 if: (a) The producer does not buy or sell poultry products other than those produced from poultry raised on the producer's own farm; (b) The poultry do not move in interstate commerce; (c) The poultry are properly labeled; and (d) The poultry are healthy when slaughtered and the slaughter and processing are conducted under sanitary standards, practices, and procedures that produce poultry products that are sound, clean, and fit for use as human food when distributed by the producer. PAGE 261 - REVISED 2020

Does that mean I have to hatch out a bird to slaughter and sell or can I order broilers, raise them, and then process to sell? I was going to buy bulk to sell to some coworkers and possibly post it on a local site, but I do not want to be breaking any laws.
I had a friend who raised and sold broilers, and she had to hatch them herself. But that was about 5 years ago. I dont know what the rules are now. :idunno

I'm no lawyer and this isn't legal advice, but I took that to mean that the producer can't sell meat/eggs from birds that haven't been raised on their property. Like they can't buy a bunch of birds on craigslist, slaughter them, and then sell the meat.

Hello everyone! I have contacted the state, and they said that as long as I don't sell more than 1000 processed birds and I do not sell to businesses/restaurants, I am exempt from licensing. That being said, I also asked about having to either hatch out or if purchasing chicks is fine, they said purchasing chicks is allowed. 👍
Thanks for posting this! :)

Brighton Bird Swap?!

Has anybody been involved with this? There seems to be ambiguity for registering, such as a closed Facebook group.

I was hoping to take a few jumbo guinea cockerels today (with a pullet or two, if possible) but I ended up being scheduled to work.

Does anyone know other bird commerce opportunities in the state (ideally Denver Metro)?
I know of one in Falcon and one Pueblo. They are both in the parking lot/side field of a feed store. It's not limited to birds, you can bring any farm related items. If you want to sell you just show up and park in the vendor area. You don't have to sign up beforehand or pay anything. They don't have swaps during winter or early spring.

They both have private FB groups. I think the point of the groups is so the organizers have more administrative control over the group members and posts. People also post available animals and supplies within the groups.

Hi everyone! I am looking for silkie chicks for this spring. I want a white egg layer and I thought it’d be fun to add silkies! Are there any breeders here in Colorado?
www.serenitysprouts.com has silkies available now. Locally located in Strasburg, CO. What is unique is that the offer DNA sexed female and female coverage options. Perfect for families that live in the city and cannot have roosters.

Back
Top Bottom