Colorado

So do I
hide.gif
land wise but not money wise
sad.png

But we currently have two male Hampshire pigs that we've kept as pets that we love but they're costing us too much in feed so we're trying to find a new home for them
sad.png

They are good guys and love to rub up against me to show love. I hate this and I want them to go as pets if possible. I know that's alot to ask though
hmm.png

I'm aware of 2 different swaps in the Denver area....the one below with Denver Urban Homesteading and another held in Brighton by Rocky Mtn Pheasant & Waterfowl Association. Some feed stores are offering a "market morning" for livestock, produce, etc..... one near Elizabeth/Kiowa, one in Pueblo, one west of Greeley on Hwy 85, ....may be some others too especially the west slope.

Quote:
So happy to see this! And I hope I'm not stepping on toes with this comment, but Aimee is awesome. She's been a huge help to me in starting my flock-- the ups and downs and all!

The swap is pretty cool-- loads of people so come early. It's in a part of town that, to me, seems to be really turning around, too. Lots of cute houses and shops and restaurants. We went to a little place to eat and took our peeps along for the ride! lol

I'll definitely be going to the swap whenever I see something pop up-- like my wanting of Wyandottes.

Hi everyone, I'm actually in Maine, but may be relocating to Colorado with my husband. I was curious if any of you are from the Fort Collins area? That's around where we will be moving to, if we move with the company my husband works for.. I was curious about climate, laws regarding animal ownership, any other helpful info that may be of use. I visited Vail for a few weeks a couple of years ago and it was beautiful! I was told the weather is different up north of Denver since its on the side of the mountains. I currently have quite a few critters, not sure who I will, or can bring with me. Thanks on advance!
big_smile.png

happytraylz, all your questions are good, BUT this is Colorado, so most of the answers are "it really depends". The weather changes very fast, but you can count on at least 300 days a yr of sunshine. Winter, warm days 30*F to 65*+F, cold nights -10*F to 40*, windy 0MPH to 80mph and you can have them all in a 24 hr period. Fort Collins is a great fun town. To answer the rest of the questions, we will need to know if you are going to be "in town" in a subdivision with a HOA, or out in the country, also West or east of town, as the mountains make a huge difference on weather, 10 miles one way or another means wind or no wind, snow or rain. I lived very close to Fort Collins for over 20yrs, if I can be of any help, just yell!

Hey Happytraylz, I'm in Berthoud - about 40 south of Fort Collins on the front range. Might be one of the people closest to you on the thread.

We raise LOTS of chickens. I actually come from Michigan, and I suspect you will discover, like me, that the winters here are much more mild than what you are used to, which is nice for raising animals.

I believe inside of Fort Collins proper, they have a 6 chicken/no rooster law like most towns on the Front Range. I am also in Larimer County, but I am out in the wild unincorporated west, and happen to have purchased property that is zoned for Ag, so I have no restrictions on livestock. We raise sheep, chickens and turkeys.

If you do come to Colorado, you want to be prepared for skunks, foxes, coyotes, hawks and eagles. Depending on how close to the mountains, we also have problems with mountain lions and bears. I haven't seen any on our property, but have neighbors swearing they've seen mountain lions and a cinnamon bear (I still think the cinnamon bear citing is actually my dog, before we fixed our fence!)

Anyhow, welcome in advance! Feel free to look me up when you get here!

Thank you for the welcome!
smile.png
I'm really excited and nervous about this opportunity. I've never lived outside of Maine. I'm sad that I don't think at first I'll be able to bring my critters-we'll have to rent or bring our park model 'camper trailer' if we can find a year round rental spot. It'll be awful for me not to have my horses (my therapy
big_smile.png
) and my chickens. Hoping I can find a job at a stable or farm and still get my horse fix til I can bring mine out. Although, the prices of hay out there are crazy! Wow! I looked on CL and people are practically giving horses away out there! Anyways, I've been doing more research to make sure I kinda know what its like out there. My DHs boss says the winters are much less harsh..
celebrate.gif
Thank you guys for the imput, and I'm sure I'll be back with more questions..

Here's to a wonderful new year! Full of happy hens, roos and lots of eggs! ...Not to mention happy flock keepers :eek:) Have a great holiday everyone and stay safe.

OMG . . . sorry Everyone . . . somehow I got unsubscribed to this thread, and thought it was just quiet for the holidays. So I just had a few pages to catch up on.
I just want to wish everyone a very Happy New Year, and offer blessings to all our backyard friends in the coming year.

And thank you again to all those that expressed their sympathies when I lost Sophie this fall. She will always hold a dear place in my heart. But Chloe was in desperate need of a new best friend, and many of you know I have been looking for a new puppy.

This is Tucker! He's a Goldendoodle, and 12-1/2 weeks old. I just got him Friday, but he and Chloe are already running and playing together. It's been a while since I've had to pay attention to those "Small Dog Warnings" like we had yesterday!!

40221_1-1-12-1.jpg

40221_1-1-12-2.jpg

40221_1-1-12-7.jpg

40221_dscf9542.jpg

OMG Gail!!!!!! He is the cutest puppy EVER!! Awwwww
love.gif
I wish I was still down there, I'd be runnin over there right now to get some puppy kisses and give some skritches and definitely hugs
love.gif
this would be me
wee.gif
Oh congrats on the new baby
ya.gif

Back
Top Bottom