Colorado

So today I have to decide whether I'm just going to lay the orange barricade stuff over my bird netting to provide some shade, or go all out and try to create some kind of arch over the run so that it will shed rain/snow in the future and not cave in from the weight.

Would like to take care of it all in one fell swoop, but haven't got a good plan in my mind yet. Guess I'll spend some time in the coops/run section.

i'd do the netting for now. Save yourself some heat stroke.

If you still want to make something more permanent do it when the temps drop a bit. With this smoke and these temps its almost becoming unsafe to be outside. That might just be what i'm thinking though. I grew up with a family of severe asthmatics/allergies and my sister has a heart and lung condition. Caution was a must.

i'd do the netting for now. Save yourself some heat stroke.

If you still want to make something more permanent do it when the temps drop a bit. With this smoke and these temps its almost becoming unsafe to be outside. That might just be what i'm thinking though. I grew up with a family of severe asthmatics/allergies and my sister has a heart and lung condition. Caution was a must.

Oh goody, someone is encouraging me to do the easy/lazy thing. My kinda BYCer!!

We'll just have to go with the story.

Hey Sharon, enjoy the AC and just sit and think about it. The "Think method"

My plan is to make another attempt at the hen house this afternoon, without the laurel and hardy antics.....

Good idea, but unfortunately in the location available, trees are not an option.  I only have about a 3-4' perimeter on all sides of the run, altho I would love a mulberry tree, which I understand just MIGHT grow here.

This actually got me thinking too. Have you thought about something viney, like roses or grapes or honeysuckle? I'm considering doing this to my run in the future. I know it will have to be planted away from the bottom of the perimeter (and probably have a little trellis set away as well) so the girls don't eat the leaves from the base, and something non-poisonous just in case they get ahold of any fallen leaves. Then I'm thinking it can just go hog wild on the top since the girls can't reach up there. I've always wanted to do this somewhere in the yard since that's how my grandparents hid their propane tank when I was growing up. Grapes! For free, just dangling there! Growing on vines! It was like magic to little 9-year-old me :drool

This actually got me thinking too. Have you thought about something viney, like roses or grapes or honeysuckle? I'm considering doing this to my run in the future. I know it will have to be planted away from the bottom of the perimeter (and probably have a little trellis set away as well) so the girls don't eat the leaves from the base, and something non-poisonous just in case they get ahold of any fallen leaves. Then I'm thinking it can just go hog wild on the top since the girls can't reach up there. I've always wanted to do this somewhere in the yard since that's how my grandparents hid their propane tank when I was growing up. Grapes! For free, just dangling there! Growing on vines! It was like magic to little 9-year-old me
droolin.gif
Good Idea if you have water and you cover it from the birds eating it!!!

This actually got me thinking too. Have you thought about something viney, like roses or grapes or honeysuckle? I'm considering doing this to my run in the future. I know it will have to be planted away from the bottom of the perimeter (and probably have a little trellis set away as well) so the girls don't eat the leaves from the base, and something non-poisonous just in case they get ahold of any fallen leaves. Then I'm thinking it can just go hog wild on the top since the girls can't reach up there. I've always wanted to do this somewhere in the yard since that's how my grandparents hid their propane tank when I was growing up. Grapes! For free, just dangling there! Growing on vines! It was like magic to little 9-year-old me
droolin.gif

Very cool idea....I like very much....Now you have me thinking.
cool.png

Good idea, but unfortunately in the location available, trees are not an option. I only have about a 3-4' perimeter on all sides of the run, altho I would love a mulberry tree, which I understand just MIGHT grow here.

If you are good with plants you might check out gurneys website. They have a few cold hardy versions of some good southern trees. I really want land so I can have the pecan tree.

droolin.gif

If you don't have any squeamish feeling about killing butterfly's you could get a butterfly bush. It will attract butterfly's and your chickens not only get a meal they get a fun to watch work out. There are lots of varieties and they are very pretty as well. (just need to check ans see if they are dangerous to the chickens to eat???)

http://gurneys.com/search.asp?ss=butterfly&x=0&y=0&as_fid=ut9WiWamDxRG9hRHtsxe

If you don't have any squeamish feeling about killing butterfly's you could get a butterfly bush.  It will attract butterfly's and your chickens not only get a meal they get a fun to watch work out.  There are lots of varieties and they are very pretty as well. (just need to check ans see if they are dangerous to the chickens to eat???)

http://gurneys.com/search.asp?ss=butterfly&x=0&y=0&as_fid=ut9WiWamDxRG9hRHtsxe

Not squeamish at all - we caught hundreds of moths for them to eat during the hatch this year! I'm just spoiled and would want to grow grapes for ME to eat. Plus I would be a concerned about bees since the run is very close to our deck. From what I've read chickens get a bit cranky when they eat a bee too :)

If anyone is planning on an order from Gurneys let me know and I might be able to get you a deal. I love their stuff and they are constantly sending me coupon and free shipping codes.

Looking at the mountains & looking at the weather map... We have RAIN incoming!!! :celebrate

Back
Top Bottom