Colorado

I am amazed the grape plant I got is still alive, I have a real black thumb. My greatest gardening accomplishment up to this year was to find some stunted carrots when I dug up my garden last winter. I have managed to keep a cherry tree and a grape plant alive this year. (my best year yet!)
wink.png

No rain here today........looked like it for awhile, but not one drop at my place. That's OK, I'll settle for the cooler temps and very little wind. Hope it makes the firefighters job a little easier.

I have a trumpet vine and a grape growing in ONE small corner of the chicken run ABOVE the bird netting. Every leaf the girls could get to is gone, all that's left is that stuff 6' and higher.

I have about a 2' apron of hardware cloth around my run. Sure wish I had gone cheap and just layed down utility fencing. I threw wildflower seeds over the apron and have a nice growth of wildflowers coming up. I'l like to plant something that would grow tall on or against the run fencing (I considered gourds). Maybe next year I'll break through some of the hardware cloth for some real planting. Wanted to do honeysuckle, but I think I read somewhere it's one of those no nos for chickens. Will check it out before next spring.

My absolutely favorite bush the Butterfly. I have a couple that I'm babying through their second year. The last place I lived I couldn't kill the things. For some reason (destructive dogs???) I can't seem to get any to flourish here. I keep trying tho, love those bushes.

Last edited:
Hi All! I'm on the Kansas forum, but saw this posted by a friend of mine in Co Springs on my facebook page. If coloradoians are anything like Kansasan and help each other out - I thought that maybe some of you that aren't as affected by the fire might be able to help out those that are:

EMERGENCY!!! wE ARE NEEDING ANYONE WHO IS ABLE TO TAKE LIVESTOCK THAT ARE DISPLACED FROM THE DEBEQUE FIRE FOR A FEW DAY!! IF YOU KNOW OF ANYONE WHO MAY BE HAVE LAND, OR OTHER AREAS TO HELP PLEASE CALL MYSELF, (970-234-5966), OR THE SHERRIFF POSSE BY CONTACTING THE SHERRIFFS OFFICE, OR ANNISSA MIRACLE 970-210-1411. THIS IS NEEDED AS SOON AS POSSIBLE.

Hello All,

Sending prayers for rain and no wind to all of you. Wish we could of sent some of the rain from T.S. Debbie your way. May all of you be safe and thank you to all the firefighters, smokejumpers and law enforcement for all you do to keep others safe.

Maye

Greetings all,

The time has come for me to finally get some chicks( I'm looking for day/week olds or near that). My pet chicken has the breeds I want, but I would rather source locally (I'm in Colorado Springs). I'm looking to get 4 chicks... 2 EE plus two more. From all the choices, on the top of my list are Orpingtons, Plymouth Rock, red or black Star and Australorp in that order. I'm also open to other breeds that are cold hardy and are not especially flighty ( I will have a 4x8 run, but intend to let them out in the yard a few hours a week and have only a 4.5' fence).

I know Wardle's up in Denver carries a decent selection of chicks, but they rarely have EE in stock and those are the hens I really want. Any other feed stores with a good selection? I'd be willing to make a day trip if there is something with in 200 mi or so.

Any breeders out there with these or other breeds?

thanks,

Mo

Mo,
I may have two juvie EE pullets...... and Maybe a couple juvie Dom pullets..........WAY cooler than those single comb Barred Rock impostors...
hide.gif

Unless you want to start with babies, which I completely understand.

Otherwise we will be eating them.......

I have a trumpet vine and a grape growing in ONE small corner of the chicken run ABOVE the bird netting.  Every leaf the girls could get to is gone, all that's left is that stuff 6' and higher.

I have about a 2' apron of hardware cloth around my run.  Sure wish I had gone cheap and just  layed down utility fencing.  I threw wildflower seeds over the apron and have a nice growth of wildflowers coming up.  I'l like to plant something that would grow tall on or against the run fencing (I considered gourds).  Maybe next year I'll break through some of the hardware cloth for some real planting.  Wanted to do honeysuckle, but I think I read somewhere it's one of those no nos for chickens.  Will check it out before next spring.

My absolutely favorite bush the Butterfly.  I have a couple that I'm babying through their second year.  The last place I lived I couldn't kill the things.  For some reason (destructive dogs???) I can't seem to get any to flourish here.  I keep trying tho, love those bushes.

This will take some getting used to when we move out there. Here in south Florida we can grow things pretty much year round. Gardening is another passion of mine and I'm looking forward to learning the seasons there and growing some new things, vines in particular as they are my absolute favorite! I do the wildflower thing here too and grow sunflowers for the seeds for my parrots!
One question, is there some reliable list of plants that are poisonous for the chickens?

Mo,
I may have two juvie EE pullets...... and Maybe a couple juvie Dom pullets..........WAY cooler than those single comb Barred Rock impostors... :oops:
Unless you want to start with babies, which I completely understand.

Otherwise we will be eating them.......

That might be ok. I don't really intend for my chickens to be "pets", but I do want to be able to handle them if need be... if i use your older pullets will they be "friendly "? Not super skittish? I'm sure my 11 year old would want to pick them up from time to time.

Also, could I mix your pullets with younger chicksin a brooder (coop) without the younger chicks grtting beat up? Guessing I need to get all 4 the same age?

Back
Top Bottom