Colorado

My little cockerel, Pecker, needs to go. We are not allowed to have ROOs and he's been crowing pretty good for about 2 weeks now. I found a home for him out by Gill. He won't be part of the flock, he'll be a meat bird....I'll miss him.

We're waiting for a call back to set up times. So I think we'll be taking him out to their farm in the morning.

He sure likes his girls.

Hey Wendell, I'll trade you some cocks for your pullets. I just know I'm going to get some cocks in my straight run chicks. '

I'm on day 12 of my eggs that came in from Washington State. So far, 14 of 18 are doing what they are suppose to. If these guys hatch, I'll get with the man who sent the other batch and just tell him that I need replacement eggs. Hopefully, I 'll have a bunch of baby chicks soon.

Mo, I've never had a problem integrating smaller chicks in with bigger chicks. I try to make sure that they are about the same size and very use to each other first. I also make sure there is a spot for smaller chicks to get away from the bigger hens if they have to. They learn quickly where they fall on the pecking order.

My little cockerel, Pecker, needs to go. We are not allowed to have ROOs and he's been crowing pretty good for about 2 weeks now. I found a home for him out by Gill. He won't be part of the flock, he'll be a meat bird....I'll miss him.

We're waiting for a call back to set up times. So I think we'll be taking him out to their farm in the morning.

He sure likes his girls.

You couldn't find a home for him with a new flock? He looks like a nice roo and they are usually relatively easy to place.

You couldn't find a home for him with a new flock? He looks like a nice roo and they are usually relatively easy to place.

I wish that I was able....But no. No takers.
sad.png

The girls hanging out in the sun, talking about girly things over a bucket of Cherry Garcia Ice Cream.

(no that is not really ice cream and yes I did clean it out very well, I do love the look Zoe is giving Ary)

Hey Wendell, I'll trade you some cocks for your pullets. I just know I'm going to get some cocks in my straight run chicks. '

I'm on day 12 of my eggs that came in from Washington State. So far, 14 of 18 are doing what they are suppose to. If these guys hatch, I'll get with the man who sent the other batch and just tell him that I need replacement eggs. Hopefully, I 'll have a bunch of baby chicks soon.

Mo, I've never had a problem integrating smaller chicks in with bigger chicks. I try to make sure that they are about the same size and very use to each other first. I also make sure there is a spot for smaller chicks to get away from the bigger hens if they have to. They learn quickly where they fall on the pecking order.
We may not have enough pullets left over for the trade We did a more thorough eval of the EE pullets and I think we miscounted before. I think we have more cockerels than we tho0ught.

Last edited:
Haven't been around for a couple of days. Great progress on your henhouse Wendell. Anxious to see what you get done this weekend.

Wendy, I'm hoping they allow you and your chickens home soon. Hope all is well. I've gotten behind on who is still displaced and where exactly they are from, but hoping that none of our people are among those who lost their homes. Such a sad situation.

Am going to try to remove myself from the 'procrastinator' list today and actually get that orange barricate stuff over my run to provide some shade. But may spend a lot of my day trying to improve the squirrel barricade around my garden. Dang squirrels have eaten every one of my strawberries this year.

Sigh, seems like it's always something.

Has anyone had a problems with chickens and feeders? Mine will intentionally bury it as soon as I put it in and won't eat from it. The only thing I have been able to get them to eat from is a cat dish and one of my old cake pans propped up. I have tried the long feeder and the round ones, I have even hung it up and they still fill it with what ever they can and refuse to eat from it. Maybe I just have picky birds, they also don't like being held or touched at all, even though I have held them every day of there life.

Back
Top Bottom