Colorado

Yeah, I just got a high wind advisory on my phone. Two of my oldest girls were roosting on the garden boxes when I went out to put them up for the night. Guess they like the warmer weather too! I turned off all the lights in their enclosure because I didn't think they need it now plus I didn't want them being blown over!

I was hoping for some help here. My neice is trying to do her science project on egg hatching. I have an incubator and have hatched before. The problem is my stupid dog jumped the fence and ate my rooster. So we were going to start her project in December but now I'm rooster less.

What I'm hoping for is to buy some hatching eggs. It would be really helpful if I could get hatching eggs for ducks, guineas, whatever elss, as well.

I live in Cheyenne, WY but am willing to drive up to CO springs to pick up.

Please let me know if you have any and the price for them. I'd like to get them early January at the latest as her project is due late February.

As many eggs as possible so we can get some decent results for her science fair project!

THANKS!!!

Sorry I can't help you, but hopefully some of our peeps in the loveland/Greeley are can. They are much closer than we are. I have the same problem you do, no rooster. Next spring I will be looking for some eggs for my broody hens.

Sorry I can't help you, but hopefully some of our peeps in the loveland/Greeley are can. They are much closer than we are. I have the same problem you do, no rooster. Next spring I will be looking for some eggs for my broody hens.
Bloody dog! This spring I'm doing some MAJOR dog run renovation so he will be unable to jump the fence. We usually chain him but our son had let him out and being that he's 3 he doesn't think ahead too much. lol So he jumped and ate them and bah! We have everything for an electric horse fence. We don't have any horses so we've never used the set up it came with. Thinking I might do a string of wire around the top of the run and see how he likes that.

Agree about the nose height in order for it to work. I used one for many years, it was about a foot off the ground, on the inside of their run. They only touched it once, and that was that. I also used the insulators made for T posts, they hold it away from your exterior fence by about three or four inches.

I may have some cochin eggs by then, or if you don't mind mixed breed, I could collect some from my laying flock.

We are looking at a house in Pinery Glen. Its one of those rare good deal and opportunity. We have four kids, when we first started thinking about buying, we were looking at a more country feel. But I have one daughter that plays hockey at the foothills, my son is active in baseball. My other kids are exploring different activities. So it became pretty apparent that the outskirts weren't going to work. So, I guess my questions is how do people who live in these HOA's "stay under the radar". It would have a bigger backyard with room for a couple of chickens and maybe a small garden. Any hints or websites would be awesome
Sorry I haven't responded sooner. I don't get the chance to log in very often any more.
sad.png

So, it helps if your property backs up to a green space (not that I know anything about that
wink.png
). If your closest neighbors are easy-going and don't look for things to complain about, that helps. I don't think there's any way to be totally under the radar, though, because there will always be a time or two (or more) that your girls want to announce to the world that they've laid an egg.

That being said, there are some breeds that are louder than others. I would stay away from Leghorns. I hear they're pretty vocal. My Rhode Island Reds get pretty loud, too. The quietest birds I have are my Salmon Faverolles, my Brahma, and my Silver Laced Wyandotte. Maybe a lot of the Bantam breeds are quieter, but I don't have any experience with those. There are some great books and magazines that describe breed personalities. Try googling "Best chicken breeds for backyard flocks". You might get more info that way, too.

Keeping as few as four chickens and building a smaller (covert) coop helps, too. Do you have a privacy fence around your back yard? That'll help discourage spying eyes.

I actually googled this a couple of years ago.
big_smile.png
There is a lot of advice and ideas out there. (Not that I know anything about any of that.)

Good luck. Hopefully you'll have great neighbors that won't care as long as you keep things clean.

For the hatching eggs try Wildfire Farms, http://www.wildfirefarmsllc.com/
She's further north and usually has barnyard mix eggs for sale. We have a cochin from her that our friend hatched. She is one of our favorites. :)

As for noisy chickens our noisiest is our bantam (D'Uccle). She tells the whole neighborhood anytime she lays an egg, or she's ready to lay an egg, or someone is in the nest box when she wants it, etc. Our BR and BA are the second noisiest. Our quietest are our EE, cochin, and Partridge rock. I couldn't even tell you what those girls sound like.

We are in a suburban neighborhood with neighbors two feet from our coop, and the other ones stare right at the coop. We have had no complaints (we are allowed chickens but it just passed so I'm not sure if the neighbors know or care if it's legal or not). I agree that something smaller and nice looking is going to go over easier if the neighbors can see it. Fresh eggs also go a long way to keeping neighbors happy. We planned to do that but our neighbors in back are an ever rotating group and the other ones that are near the coop don't speak english.

If you talk with your neighbors maybe broach the topic with them by bringing up a "friend' of yours that has them and see how they respond. It only takes one person to ruin everything for you. It would suck to have them all setup and then have to get rid of them.

Sorry I haven't responded sooner. I don't get the chance to log in very often any more.
sad.png

So, it helps if your property backs up to a green space (not that I know anything about that
wink.png
). If your closest neighbors are easy-going and don't look for things to complain about, that helps. I don't think there's any way to be totally under the radar, though, because there will always be a time or two (or more) that your girls want to announce to the world that they've laid an egg.

That being said, there are some breeds that are louder than others. I would stay away from Leghorns. I hear they're pretty vocal. My Rhode Island Reds get pretty loud, too. The quietest birds I have are my Salmon Faverolles, my Brahma, and my Silver Laced Wyandotte. Maybe a lot of the Bantam breeds are quieter, but I don't have any experience with those. There are some great books and magazines that describe breed personalities. Try googling "Best chicken breeds for backyard flocks". You might get more info that way, too.

Keeping as few as four chickens and building a smaller (covert) coop helps, too. Do you have a privacy fence around your back yard? That'll help discourage spying eyes.

I actually googled this a couple of years ago.
big_smile.png
There is a lot of advice and ideas out there. (Not that I know anything about any of that.)

Good luck. Hopefully you'll have great neighbors that won't care as long as you keep things clean.

i have a silkie that announces herself after her proud moment, and will try to lay claim to anyone elses egg laying by being vocal!! another silkie never has anything to say! I think noisiness may be individual....

Back
Top Bottom