Colorado

Howdy strangers. Missed your banter! Straight to the point here. Little Gus Van Sant, the great chook protector, may need a home from October to January.
I can't have him in the big city. Sorry to come at you with this after so long, but think of it as a planned emergency :'(

Last edited:
I just had my first loss from--I'm certain, as she exhibited all the symptoms--coccidiosis. I've been treating her and the whole flock with corid and I wonder if I should keep the everyone on the meds for a time. Also, does anybody know if I should discard the eggs until the meds clear from their systems? I've read conflicting information on that subject.

I just had my first loss from--I'm certain, as she exhibited all the symptoms--coccidiosis. I've been treating her and the whole flock with corid and I wonder if I should keep the everyone on the meds for a time. Also, does anybody know if I should discard the eggs until the meds clear from their systems? I've read conflicting information on that subject.
I would keep them on the medication until they have been on it for 2 weeks. From what I heard egg withdrawal is not necessary because Corrid is just a thiamine blocker. That's how it helps fight cocci. It's not an antibiotic so no withdrawal needed. Just what I've read. I usually feed the eggs to the dogs if I have to medicate with anything.

Hello everyone, I'm in the Fort Collins area! I just recently rescued a beautiful white chinese X embden gander from a local lake. Sadly, someone abandoned this goose and his buddy there. His friend had already died by the time I found him, so I needed to get him out of there, and I did. He's been staying right next to my 8 little runner ducks for the past three days. If you want to see the whole story, here is the original thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/920862/is-this-a-dumped-domestic-goose

I am unable to take on an extra mouth to feed right now, so I'm looking for someone who can give this guy a good life. Please let me know if you would like to adopt him... I will give him to you for free (I also have a bag of Nutrena All Flock to go with him). He has been a very sweet gander so far, and I'm sure he'll stay that way with the proper care.

WIth the help of the goose folks here on BYC, we've been able to take good guesses at his gender, breed, age, and health status:

-Breed: White Chinese, Embden Cross
-Health Status: Good, he has not shown any signs of illness or injury
-Temperament: This goose has been very sweet to me, and not aggressive

I ask that you are experienced in keeping waterfowl (ideally geese) so that you know how to give him a good life. Please contact me. PM is fine or a response to this thread or the original thread. Here are pictures of the beautiful guy:

This is probably the most active Colorado-specific thread on this site, so forgive me that I cross-posted this. I have a general question about finding a place for our 12 week Ameraucana rooster -- rescues, farms, etc. I didn't put anything in here pleading for people to take in the bird.

We're allowed to have hens but no roosters, as is common. We didn't mean to buy a rooster, but we knew it was a crapshoot whether we'd actually get a pullet. We've raised him from a little guy and he's just now showing off his rooster skills. He's pretty great, and we're sad to have to re-home him.

We live in Littleton, and we'd be willing to travel a good distance to find some place to keep him.

Does anyone know of any rescues?

We'd prefer re-homing the bird in a place that would allow him to live out his natural life, so we'd like to be sure he won't be fought or eaten. My wife and I have always raised our chickens as pets, so it's hard to imagine a chicken we raised would be mistreated. Eating chickens I understand, but not fighting them or putting them in terrible living situations.

I know it's tough to find a place. They're chickens, after all. Millions of them die every day to feed people. Why should this one be any different? We know it's kind of a long shot, but we want to try.

Thanks for your help. This was the first place I went.

Here are some pictures. He's a pretty one, too.

This is probably the most active Colorado-specific thread on this site, so forgive me that I cross-posted this. I have a general question about finding a place for our 12 week Ameraucana rooster -- rescues, farms, etc. I didn't put anything in here pleading for people to take in the bird.

We're allowed to have hens but no roosters, as is common. We didn't mean to buy a rooster, but we knew it was a crapshoot whether we'd actually get a pullet. We've raised him from a little guy and he's just now showing off his rooster skills. He's pretty great, and we're sad to have to re-home him.

We live in Littleton, and we'd be willing to travel a good distance to find some place to keep him.

Does anyone know of any rescues?

We'd prefer re-homing the bird in a place that would allow him to live out his natural life, so we'd like to be sure he won't be fought or eaten. My wife and I have always raised our chickens as pets, so it's hard to imagine a chicken we raised would be mistreated. Eating chickens I understand, but not fighting them or putting them in terrible living situations.

I know it's tough to find a place. They're chickens, after all. Millions of them die every day to feed people. Why should this one be any different? We know it's kind of a long shot, but we want to try.

Thanks for your help. This was the first place I went.

Here are some pictures. He's a pretty one, too.

Maybe you can find something here. https://www.google.com/search?cof=L...rm+rescues+in+Colorado&btnG=Search&gws_rd=ssl

Today seems like a meyer lemon martini day!

I have Chinese 5 spice sticky chicken marinating for dinner. The 1/2" galvanized hardware cloth came today finally! OMG it weighs like 300lbs! I hope this 6' x 150' is enough to cover the areas I want and enough left over for my 2 separate meatie areas.. cuz I might end up getting some cornish x @ the end of October and put them on the other side of my barn after I harvest my fall crops that are there atm to get the area ready for spring planting.

My <2 week old cemani & haffies (cemani x orpington) chicks are having so much fun today when I brought in a small cake pan full of dirt from my garden in the brooder box! So I did the same for my meaties (bigger things of garden dirt) and it's hilarious to watch them dustbathing!

I'm totally sucking up to my bf to get moving on the new chicken run areas/coops, I even made coconut macaroon cookies and am working on meyer lemon curd to make gluten-free eclairs. My kitchen is heaven!! And a gluten-free lemon pound cake in the works, roasted balsamic strawberry with rosemary gelato, to bring to my friend this weekend when I might *gasp* get more cemani and haffie chicks! More are hatching! She has 8 atm, I have 6. Since the svart honas looks like it's not happening, but juveniles from gff of the ac are otw to her flock, so there's a lot of awesome potential there in breeding stock between the 2 different blood lines she has. Lucky I won't be paying gff prices! In the spring everything willing I can add the gff cemani to my flocks too! Hmong is also on my short list along with a couple french bcm pullets? Chicken math strikes again!!!

Sadly we lost Honey last night to a coon, she was apparently roosted up high when I brought everyone in from free range and didn't see her. I feels horrible, feathers all over the free range area and in some our buildings,but never found the carcass.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom