Colorado

It's a week later than I wanted but I got the carrots and radishes planted today. I had to do a bit of chicken-proofing in the strawberry patch. Yesterday the whole flock got in there and really tore up the plants that were starting to grow again. Hopefully the roots are ok and they'll grow back.

I'm a brand new Denver member! I now have a brood of 7 chicks and preparing to find the perfect coop for them soon! Any other Denver people here?

Our chicks are 7 and 5 weeks old. Loving this so far!!

Well, we had 8 eggs shipped, and AMAZINGLY after the PO shook and smashed the box, we had 6 hatch! Sadly, two of them died after pip, and after inspecting one of them, I'm convinced it was from the treatment of the eggs. They just weren't able to absorb the yolk sac all the way, even though they were fully formed and attempting to hatch. The four hatched are beautiful, and I have one super light one that I'm pretty excited about. So, that's four 5 week olds in the barn, and now these new ones. We won't be hatching much anymore. I'm positive we'll be moving in about three years, and it's sad enough I'll have to cull this whole flock, so I really don't want to keep hatching. I'm hoping with the Cinnamon Queens we have enough egg layers to last a while. I've told my husband we'll put off buying the expensive incubator. I actually still get really sad about the Mareks, something I have zero control over, but greatly affects my flock.

Welcome DenverChick! I think we would all love some pics of your new fluffies.

Ashdoes- Sorry to hear about the Meraks. That really stinks.
sad.png
hugs.gif

Welcome DenverChick!. I'm in Boulder, so not too far away. Get a bigger coop then you think you need. Do you know about 'chicken math' yet?

Ashdoes, so sorry you are going through this. But thank you for be so open about it. I think we all know 'there but the grace of God goes I' and seeing you navigate the disease and choices you have to make, will ease the road for someone else.
hugs.gif

I lost two of the newest 15 chicks last night. Failure to thrive, i believe. Ine was an assited hatch. It had been shrunk wrapped and then i didnt see it eat or drink anything.
I do have an external pip on a goose egg and another with an internal pip. I hope i come home to a gosling or two. Geese should be hatching now for the next two weeks in the bator and then it will be time for the others to hatch yhat are under my toulouse. She has been sitting for 10 days now.
I will try and get some pics of the chicks this evening, time allowing. It has been a busy week.
The metal for my greenhouse/shed roof should be here today or tomorrow. I know what i will be doing for the next few evenings and this weekend.
Does anyone know of a good place to get gutters from?

Hopefully this is a good place to post this.

In the next month or so (maybe 6 weeks) we are going to need our coop. We have 7 chicks now and with a one year old daughter and full time jobs, our dreams of building our coop are clearly becoming out of reach.

We have looked at Wardle, found some "ok" coops there... Of course there is CostCo and Amazon, but we don't really want to do that. We really want a custom coop and run for our gals.

With a budget of only around $600, does anyone here have recommendations? We are located in the Park Hill area and have a very large yard and space for our future coop.

Maybe someone here builds coops and will take pity on us? Maybe there's a feed store or custom builder I haven't found on Craigslist yet? Any advice is welcome. I just want a great place for our ladies and wish we could do it ourselves. :(

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom