Colorado

They do sound like bowling balls dropping! :lol:

I always worry about my little feather footed porcelain free ranging because of the hawks, eagles & owls we have around here. She's not the quickest, but she knows it & makes sure she's never out in the open by herself. It's actually kind of funny to watch her when she notices she's alone - she either high tails it back to the covered pen or over to Lila or Sparta. I've noticed that Memnoch is hyper vigilant with his warning noises & even the rabbits freeze when he starts wailing. The five light coloured birds I have are almost always on the lookout for death from above, to be honest. The peafowl are pretty vigilant, too. They chase the pigeons away from the chickens & notice things well before I do (like the neighbors' giant pit bull mix dog being in our field & making its way toward my free ranging flock this evening).

I have a thread on it but just to let everyone know Northglenn CO city council are working on allowing chickens. They have to schedule and have two more votes but it sounds like the council thinks it's a good idea. ATM it looks like 6 chickens with no roosters.

LS,
You are such a bright spot in my day. Three to six inches last time was a foot in my yard. I am prepared for the worst. I cleaned the dog kennels and the coop after work just in case we get a ton.
How did the egg eater in isolation turn out. Was it your culprit?

Uzi,
How is that toe today? I hope she is doing better.
I did notice that about my Hamburg too. Never all alone and never far from cover. Total freak out if they realize the others have wondered off. I wonder if they know how vulnerable they are......

Hi there! New to this site and raising chickens in general. We're in Arvada, and we just purchased 5 chicks a few days ago :). So excited to see our chickens grow. Anyone near me?

Greetings @mlmonro3 from the Brighton area, NE of Denver a bit out on the plains. Welcome to BYC and the Colorado channel! Congrats on joining the ranks of "bird brains united!"
wink.png
Ummm has anyone explained chicken math to you yet? You see, you THINK you have five, but in no time at all, they'll turn into a dozen then 2 dozen, then... Well, you get the idea. Glad you joined us! If you can, we all love to see pics... (was that a blatant hint or what?)

Hey there 21Hens... I think you might end up being happy you got those chores done. Just looked up and the weather advisory is blinking (where have I been?) and now we have a BLIZZARD WARNING!?!? golly... I went out today and picked up all the blown trash along the road frontage and then spread fertilizer on the lawn, so I got a couple of things done anyway. I re-filled all the bird's water buckets a few days ago, so don't need to sweat that anyway. Not going to be prolonged cold so will stay with FF.

The egg eaters in isolation were indeed the guilty ladies and they are no longer with us. I am now getting all eggs laid by my New Hampshires and will know better about the White Wyandottes over the coming days. They have never been good layers since I got them. I kinda wonder why I keep feeding them...

Holy Hanna! We have 20 inches of snow and counting here. The power was off for a while and now back but flickering still.

I am very glad I made the feed store run too. I have 120 pounds of chicken feed and a new bag of scratch, dog food at about 60 pounds and parrot food at two full containers. We are all good for a while.

What was that they said about 6 inches for the Fort Collins area????? OH it must have been a Just Kidding moment.

mlmonro3,
Welcome to the wonderful world of raising chickens. Chicken math gets most all of us in the end. My want of 6 ended up being a high of 42. I am back down to 29 having sold several and lost a few. I only count how many feed dishes I have to fill. If I have 3 feeders then I must only have 3 chickens.
wink.png

I hope everyone is ok in this storm. The weight of the snow is ripping my wire run roof apart. That will have to be dealt with at a later time of course. I left the gals doors shut this morning as I am certain they would not be going out in this weather anyway. The snow also collapsed half of my PVC structure that I had planned on using for something. I was not sure what but I guess that no longer matters.

I am glad I decided not to brave the storm to go to work today.

Same here, probably closer to 2 feet now though. The power just came back on. Had to dig paths for the sheep to get around in because the wind is howling and laying down some really nice drifts...... cough, cough....

Welcome mlmonro3!

th.gif
Spring......

Back
Top Bottom