Colorado

For some reason my multi-quote button has disappeared.

@Megshenhut thanks for rubbing it in that the storm missed you. Hoping that your chicks arrive safe and healthy and soon! :fl. :hugs

@mlmonro3 nice selection of chicks, looking forward to seeing them.

@21hens-incharge luckily no power loss on the incubtor.

I don't have one either. Are we getting a virus?

Oh boy I thought we got some snow but looks like it hit others much harder. It seems to be melting really fast so I'm glad of that. I have to say that I don't mind the snow but I just don't like wind.

I'm getting pretty excited. I should get my quail chicks the first week of April and then my chicken chicks a few weeks later. Yeah!

For some reason my multi-quote button has disappeared.

@Megshenhut thanks for rubbing it in that the storm missed you. Hoping that your chicks arrive safe and healthy and soon!
fl.gif
hugs.gif

@mlmonro3 nice selection of chicks, looking forward to seeing them.

@21hens-incharge luckily no power loss on the incubtor.
The chicks arrived in the morning with only one DOA. The rest of them all look good. Pretty exciting that they are ok.

My power finally came back on last night around 10 PM. somewhere, just west of me on the way to Carter Lake, the first power line pole blew down and broke; it helped pull down the next one, and the next one, and the next - like dominoes, going faster and faster east until the edge of Berthoud. Yesterday I could see them as the workman were replacing them, all snapped off a foot above the snow, in a long line all the way to town.

Not too much damage here, just a couple of broken limbs on an old upright Juniper that will have to be removed. We had hot water but no heat for two days. The temperature in the house did not get much below 60* and I'm surprised. The two week old chicks seemed completely oblivious to the disappearance of their heat, but I myself got really grouchy (I'm told). Think I'm still in shock. The chickens seem fine, if just a little confined by all the snow.

Hope everyone is recovering/recovered and that your chickens were not harmed. Welcome newcomers and new chicks. It is a good time to be joining Colorado BYC.

@LS: I am glad you don't have your foul fowl to worry about anymore. If, in hindsight, you gather any insight about how/why they developed such a nasty and unnatural habit, I'd be interested in hearing it.

Wow 410, sorry you were without power for so long. Really glad there was no real damage caused by it. I had power out for a while and it never got much below ~ 60 in here either. Glad you weren't incubating... that would have sucked. I've been fighting a danged cold for ~3 days now. It's moved and become entrenched in my head and chest. I can't sleep cause I start hacking if I lay down. My chest and throat are so sore from coughing... I've started sneezing, which normally means I'm starting to kick it... I sure hope so. Now I'm back off to the recliner to try and doze for a while. I have no idea why those couple of hens got so off kilter. I mean I could understand if the egg got broken or something, but to eat every egg they laid... That was ridiculous! After I identified and removed the offenders, there's been no more problem with it.

OK, so from what the weather service says, southern CO might get a bit of snow tonight and into tomorrow. Don't think it's gonna be a "batten down the hatches" kind of storm, but it's all "banked" moisture for later this summer, so I say bring it on!

Wow 410, sorry you were without power for so long. Really glad there was no real damage caused by it. I had power out for a while and it never got much below ~ 60 in here either. Glad you weren't incubating... that would have sucked. I've been fighting a danged cold for ~3 days now. It's moved and become entrenched in my head and chest. I can't sleep cause I start hacking if I lay down. My chest and throat are so sore from coughing... I've started sneezing, which normally means I'm starting to kick it... I sure hope so. Now I'm back off to the recliner to try and doze for a while. I have no idea why those couple of hens got so off kilter. I mean I could understand if the egg got broken or something, but to eat every egg they laid... That was ridiculous! After I identified and removed the offenders, there's been no more problem with it.

Oh, I'm sorry you've caught a cold. Sounds like you've got a post-nasal drip from it, where, when you lie down, stuff just runs down the back of your throat and causes coughing the whole night. I used to use a good anti-histamine to dry up the drip, and it worked for me when I couldn't take the lack of sleep and sore muscles from coughing any more. Most pain I forget, but THAT stuff I remember. Salt and sugar made it worse. Hope you get it figured out. Recliners are good.

Yes, I am glad I was not incubating. I can wait for that. And, to be truthful, nothing seems to have got damaged but my ego. Being without power is SOOOOO inhumane and humbling.

I am beginning to bring together all the lost chicken souls in the house - there are four now - and am feeling a bit like Joanne Woodward in SYBIL. That should keep me entertained during the next storm. I am nuts, but at least old enough to justify it. Get well.

LS,
There have been some nasty colds running around. Most of the people I have had to deal with that have those symptoms seem to kick it in about 4 or 5 days with a lingering cough for another week. Chicken soup and get better.

Megs,
Glad the littles made it ok in all this weather. Bummer any died at all. Hopefully no one else has any issues from a rough trip.

Coop410silkies,
The loss of power is certainly humbling. We are forced to remember how interdependent we have become. Not like the frontier days at all. We certainly lack the preparedness of our forefathers.

I am just south of fountain colorado. We got about 6 to 7 inches and a cold wind yesterday. It is melting rather fast today.
I can definatly sympathise on losing power. We did not lose it here this storm but we have in the past. I have installed a couple of solar panels and a battery bank that i use for the greenhouse and chicken coop for power. If i had to i could run a small portion of the house off of it for a little while. Hearing of the power going out makes me want to install a few more panels and a larger battery bank for just such of an occasion. It is a good thing to be as self sufficient as you can be in my opinion. We have been eating salads from the greenhouse for about a month and the peas are in bloom already. Sure is nice to be eating from the garden already this year. Next year we are going to try and get tomatoes year round. The cold got them before i could get a heater in the greenhouse this year. I will be more prepared next winter.
Stay warm and have a nice easter everybody.

Last edited:
with solar a really large bank is needed to run a heat lamp kind of set up...
I wonder if anyone of the grid is rearing little chicks and how.
we did not get much yesterday compared to last week :)
all melting fast. my waist high snow banks are all gone. all the massive melting puts a lot of stress on sumps so. that part is kind of scary...
my little ones are all right and growing.

Back
Top Bottom