Colorado

Cool! Where are you getting them from? I've always liked the look of the light Sussex and the coronation are really cool too.

A breeder in Northeast Colorado. They are breeding Coronation Sussex and Black and Blue Copper Marans. If all goes well I might need to ger some Marans from them in the Spring ;)

Welcome to all the new folks!

Judging by the lack of activity I'm guessing we've all been pretty busy. Thought I'd share some updates and pictures.

I butchered the last of my first batch of quail. My last batch is a few weeks from being big enough. I plan to do those at Thanksgiving so my grandparents can try them. I kept three hens from the first batch, one of which was one of the penguin faced chicks. She has a pretty face.

All of my birds got a natural dewormer in the form of pumpkin "soup" today. Some liked it but the rest were more interested on the worms I put on top. My ducks finished molting and are back to laying. Nami got way more brown on her after her molt. They were supposed to get lighter. But it's an interesting lace pattern on her chest and she is really easy to tell apart.

Still no chicken eggs. Bunch of freeloaders! They are all over 26 weeks now. The EE has been singing her egg song and sitting in the nest box every morning for over a month but hasn't laid anything. The BLRW has been red in the face for a while but no signs of wanting to lay. I just noticed this afternoon that the AMs are getting a little red in the face. I think I might just have to wait til spring. Oh well.

Malcolm has turned out to be a wonderful young cockeral. He has never shown any aggression toward people or my dogs. He dances and tidbits for the girls. He is gentle with them when mating even though none of them really know what they are going. I've noticed some white leakage in his feathers but for a backyard bird I think he's grown into a handsome lad.

Last edited:
Nice update lomine! Hope your girls start laying soon.
Rags, yes please post some pics. That would be nice.
I have raised fall chicks before. They laid really well once they started in the early, early Spring. The idea behind it is that the birds spemd the fall winter growing and they usually start laying as soon as the days really seem to lengthen, late Jan, and they don't stop laying until fall. So you save money on feed per egg unless you get some really early Spring chicks that start laying in the fall and then they will lay through the winter. If the birds free-range for all of their food, then fall is not the time to be growing chicks, but for us feed store feeders, Fall babies are an okay way to get next year's eggs.

Last edited:
Welcome to all the new folks!

What pretty birds!What kind of ducks are they?

I'm also waiting on more eggs! I have four that are 23 weeks,and only one is laying.

Judging by the lack of activity I'm guessing we've all been pretty busy. Thought I'd share some updates and pictures.

I butchered the last of my first batch of quail. My last batch is a few weeks from being big enough. I plan to do those at Thanksgiving so my grandparents can try them. I kept three hens from the first batch, one of which was one of the penguin faced chicks. She has a pretty face.

All of my birds got a natural dewormer in the form of pumpkin "soup" today. Some liked it but the rest were more interested on the worms I put on top. My ducks finished molting and are back to laying. Nami got way more brown on her after her molt. They were supposed to get lighter. But it's an interesting lace pattern on her chest and she is really easy to tell apart.

Still no chicken eggs. Bunch of freeloaders! They are all over 26 weeks now. The EE has been singing her egg song and sitting in the nest box every morning for over a month but hasn't laid anything. The BLRW has been red in the face for a while but no signs of wanting to lay. I just noticed this afternoon that the AMs are getting a little red in the face. I think I might just have to wait til spring. Oh well.

Malcolm has turned out to be a wonderful young cockeral. He has never shown any aggression toward people or my dogs. He dances and tidbits for the girls. He is gentle with them when mating even though none of them really know what they are going. I've noticed some white leakage in his feathers but for a backyard bird I think he's grown into a handsome lad.

Nice update lomine!  Hope your girls start laying soon.  
Rags, yes please post some pics.  That would be nice.
I have raised fall chicks before.  They laid really well once they started in the early, early Spring.  The idea behind it is that the birds spemd the fall winter growing and they usually start laying as soon as the days really seem to lengthen, late Jan, and they don't stop laying until fall.  So you save money on feed per egg  unless you get some really early Spring chicks that start laying in the fall and then they will lay through the winter.   If the birds free-range for all of their food, then fall is not the time to be growing chicks, but for us feed store feeders, Fall babies are an okay way to get next year's eggs. 

That makes a lot of sense. Hopefully my fall chicks will be great layers in the Spring!

Two more days until I get these two!

Never seen or heard of a Coronation Sussex before. Very nice.
thumbsup.gif

Are you picking them up or are they being shipped? I'd love some breeder quality Marans in the future; ones that lay really dark eggs. If you get a chance to see some at the breeder would love to hear about them.

Back
Top Bottom