Colorado

How far is evergreen from Fremont county? I know its not close but idk. I have fertile turkey and bantam eggs.
Hi Cluckylady-

It's at least a 3 and a half hour drive depending on where you are. Basically a long way. I picked up some swedish flower chicken eggs yesterday. Just moved my broody hen to the broody box with some of her unfertile eggs and am waiting to see if it sticks. Started the eggs in the incubator last night too. My plan is to put the warm eggs under her one evening if she continues to set. If anyone has suggestions, I'm listening, because I have not done this before.

On another note: What kind of turkeys do you raise? I have always wanted Narragansetts, but the internet has warned against raising chickens and turkeys together.

I've done some research on turkeys as I would like to have some in the future as well. From my understanding, you have to be concerned about having chickens and turkeys together if there is blackhead in your area. I'm not sure if we have it in CO as I haven't researched that deeply. There are some things people add to the turkey feed and/or water to help prevent outbreaks though. The other concern is turkeys can kill chickens so it is usually best to give them their own enclosure.

I'll be spending the week cleaning house and sorting through my stuff. I took the first step to moving and talked with a realtor on Saturday. Unfortunately there isn't anything available in my price range in the area I want but I want to be ready to put my house on the market as soon as I find another place. I already went through most of the garage and out of everything I went through I'm only keeping about two medium totes worth of stuff. My plan this time around is to get rid of anything I haven't used or missed in the last seven years. It actually feels really good to purge all this stuff.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it all works out. Now that I have started the process I'm ready to go but having the birds sure makes things complicated.

Last edited:
I've done some research on turkeys as I would like to have some in the future as well. From my understanding, you have to be concerned about having chickens and turkeys together if there is blackhead in your area. I'm not sure if we have it in CO as I haven't researched that deeply. There are some things people add to the turkey feed and/or water to help prevent outbreaks though. The other concern is turkeys can kill chickens so it is usually best to give them their own enclosure.

I'll be spending the week cleaning house and sorting through my stuff. I took the first step to moving and talked with a realtor on Saturday. Unfortunately there isn't anything available in my price range in the area I want but I want to be ready to put my house on the market as soon as I find another place. I already went through most of the garage and out of everything I went through I'm only keeping about two medium totes worth of stuff. My plan this time around is to get rid of anything I haven't used or missed in the last seven years. It actually feels really good to purge all this stuff.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it all works out. Now that I have started the process I'm ready to go but having the birds sure makes things complicated.
Best of luck with your move! I hope everything works out for you. :)

Lots going on as usual.

The bitty babies are doing well. We sold 3 BA that are 8 months old. We got the garden up and going in the raised beds.

I decided I just do not have room for the greenhouse. If anyone is interested in a 6x8 greenhouse we are selling it. We never opened the box. It is a harbor freight greenhouse. We paid 250 for it and can sell it for 200. Please pm me if interested. It goes on craigslist in a week.

Well here in the middle of state the weather has also improved but I made the mistake of forgetting to plug the heated water fountain back in after my husband used the electric cord and this morning had a big chunk of ice! I really hope that the last freeze, but I know better...
Got a beautiful pair of ameraucana from Muffmom, and they have settled into the new hen house that my husband just finished building. Getting 3 to 4 dozen eggs a week from my big girls and still have 6 little bantams running around my green house that are becoming faster by minute. Took me darn near 15 minutes to round them up tonight, lol!
Good luck to everyone on all the various things going on I hope everyone can get out and enjoy some sunshine this week.

Last edited:
Well here in the middle of state the weather has also improved but I made the mistake of forgetting to plug the heated water fountain back in after my husband used the electric cord and this morning had a big chunk of ice! I really hope that the last freeze, but I know better...
Got a beautiful pair of ameraucana from Muffmom, and they have settled into the new hen house that my husband just finished building. Getting 3 to 4 dozen eggs a week from my big girls and still have 6 little bantams running around my green house that are becoming faster by minute. Took me darn near 15 minutes to round them up tonight, lol!
Good luck to everyone on all the various things going on I hope everyone can get out and enjoy some sunshine this week.
Hey- I meant to tell you those ameraucana's are from Paul Smith lines, probably ordered through Whitmore Farms originally.

Yeah! Just got a call from Clifton Redden last night to confirm my order will be shipped today!! Will be getting black and blue AMs. So excited, the brooding pen has been set up for 3 weeks now waiting for them. Only took me a year and a half to finally get an order! Been working on their breeding pen for 8 months. (Guess I have to actually finish it now.)

wink.png
Where can one procure some leghorn chicks around here? (Here being between Denver and CO Springs) Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom