Colorado

For those that live near Arvada/Golden, I thought I'd pass on info on an upcoming class at Timberline Gardens. From their newsletter:

"Raising Chickens in the Urban Garden: Dave Burnside of Lake Valley and Botanical Interest Seed Companies will share his experiences raising chickens in an urban environment. This ol' farm boy will discuss choosing the right kind of chickens, raising the chicks, moving pullets outside/coop requirements, feeding and watering, egg laying/handling eggs, regular maintenance, gardening with sand for chickens and their long-term care (culling, disease and death). Cost $10.00. Instructor: Dave Burnside. Sunday, April 3, 9-11 a.m."

Timberline is located at 11700 W. 58th Ave. in Arvada; their phone is 303-420-4060. You need to pre-register and pay in advance for classes.

Of course you can get all that and more here on BYC for free - I'm just passing the info on. It's always fun just to get together with other peeps and share stories first-hand.

But I will add on a personal note here - Timberline is just a fantastic garden center! Although I don't know how much nursery stock they'll have out by April 3rd. For those that haven't been there before, Timberline is also the exclusive retail outlet for High Country Gardens based in Santa Fe.

Quote:
You can garden with sand? for chickens? whats this?!

idunno.gif
Guess we have to go to the class to find out!

I have a fair amount of egglayer pellet that I need to find a new home for. My chooks have decided they wont eat pellets ..they want crumbles. I would like to either trade for a like amount of crumble or sell it for 8 bucks. I have about 50 pounds and you would need to bring your own container. Im located in Arvada. Please pm or email me if anyone is interested.
thanks

Quote:
=====
If you don't get a taker, you could put them in a large gallon baggie and hit it several times with a rolling pin. Won't go to waste that way. Just a thought.

I quit buying pellets, it seems to be too big for the bantams so I switched to crumbles. I mixed them together and the pellets are slowly disappearing, I assume they are eating them?

Does anybody have hatching eggs here in Colorado? I am looking for 6-10 eggs, don't care what breed or type as long as they are chickens.

I am fine with LF, Bantams or Mixed.

All of my laying hens have gone broody! They went one by one, but now I have no eggs to set under them!

Please EMAIL me if you have eggs and you are in Colorado!

THank you

Quote:
=====
If you don't get a taker, you could put them in a large gallon baggie and hit it several times with a rolling pin. Won't go to waste that way. Just a thought.

I quit buying pellets, it seems to be too big for the bantams so I switched to crumbles. I mixed them together and the pellets are slowly disappearing, I assume they are eating them?

Does anybody have hatching eggs here in Colorado? I am looking for 6-10 eggs, don't care what breed or type as long as they are chickens.

I am fine with LF, Bantams or Mixed.

All of my laying hens have gone broody! They went one by one, but now I have no eggs to set under them!

Please EMAIL me if you have eggs and you are in Colorado!

THank you

We have mixed breeds
smile.png
I don't know how fertile they are, but we always get two - three eggs to hatch every time we put them to set in the incubator
smile.png
usually lose only one or two, we figure thats the incubator though, not the fertility.
smile.png

We are moving to the Fort Collins area within the next month or so - assuming our sale goes through. We are looking for a pet and chicken friendly rental while we are looking for a new home.
fl.gif
Do any of you know of somewhere like that? Or else is there someone in the area that wouldn't mind keeping our 3 pet bantams in their little portable coop and run while we have to live in some unenlightened housing that won't accomodate our chickens?
idunno.gif
We are being told to get rid of our pets as if they are disposable! My kids would be totally heartbroken if Amber and Pearl and Cleopatra had to be gotten rid of!! Why is it that as soon as people find out your pets are chickens they assume that they are disposable and not really valuable? Sigh, guess we are weird...

Just thought I would see if there are any with ideas who know the area. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom