Comb sexing chicks

Here are the last two

How's everyone doing on sexing with combs? It looks like one of my pullets is a cockerel.
1f62b.png

I keep looking at hatch pictures and I can't tell if I didn't see it or the comb moved down. It is now in the nostril area like a rooster should be.
They hatched 1-14 & 1-15. I'll post pictures later.

How's everyone doing on sexing with combs? It looks like one of my pullets is a cockerel.
1f62b.png

I keep looking at hatch pictures and I can't tell if I didn't see it or the comb moved down. It is now in the nostril area like a rooster should be.
They hatched 1-14 & 1-15. I'll post pictures later.

The result with my five bantam Cochin babies is not good for this one, unfortunately. Three of my five are definitely boys, and their combs still end around the middle of their nostrils, just like their sisters' combs. I wasn't entirely sure where the comb was supposed to end for girls versus boys, but all five of my chicks' combs end at about the same spot between their nostrils. Maybe it just doesn't work on certain breeds? I'll try again with the Dorkings and Marans I'm getting in about a month. :D

These two are the girls:

And these three are the boys:

More current pictures, in the same order as the above pictures--girls:

And boys:

Here's a good close-up of one of the boys; you can clearly see where his comb ends in relation to his nostrils:

Last edited:
The result with my five bantam Cochin babies is not good for this one, unfortunately. Three of my five are definitely boys, and their combs still end around the middle of their nostrils, just like their sisters' combs. I wasn't entirely sure where the comb was supposed to end for girls versus boys, but all five of my chicks' combs end at about the same spot between their nostrils. Maybe it just doesn't work on certain breeds? I'll try again with the Dorkings and Marans I'm getting in about a month. :D

These two are the girls:
And these three are the boys:
More current pictures, in the same order as the above pictures--girls:

And boys:

Here's a good close-up of one of the boys; you can clearly see where his comb ends in relation to his nostrils:

Well dang.. I was hoping for it to work. I'll see if I can what breeds he had if I can. Pea combs are hard to see... Believe it or not one of my chicks has half pea comb half single...

I'm marking Japanese bantams that I think are boys. I wish I new what birds he was talking about... I could kick myself for not asking.

I was right about the last two. Both single combs. Though behaviour was a strong influence.

Back
Top Bottom