coming out ahead on cornish rocks

BirchHatchery

Songster
10 Years
Nov 2, 2009
indiana
i can get Cornish rocks for around 1.50-2.00 dollars a bird. I get feed at the price of 11 dollars for 75 pounds I can get the birds butchered bagged for 3 dollars a bird. so if they eat 8-10 pounds of grain that around 2 dollars worth in 8 weeks. so I got 2 dollars in birds 2 dollars in feed and 3 dollars in butchering total of 7 dollars, to me im coming out ahead on price of whats in store correct I could also sell the birds for 10 dollars a piece and come out ahead to correct? I do not count the price of feeders waterers and my time doing it that's just nonsense figuring that in as ive had all the feeders and such for years now and my time is dumb as im always out in the barn anyhow what yall think?

Sounds like it works. May be laws though limiting the scale you can go. I havn't gotten started on my meat birds yet so don't know (don't plan on more than a couple dozen). Could double your profit by processing yourself. Isn't hard really but takes a bit to get used to.

NOT accounting for one's labor, facilities, portion of mortgage and insurance, utilities and water ,etc. puts one into the LOSS category ... something that is contrary to what is taught in Econ 101. I would suggest that you rethink your current line of thinking !
old.gif

how can you add that in the barns already been built long long time ago mortgage and insurance I have to pay regardless if I have the chickens or not. Waters free I get it from the pond. why would I count labor im not a lazy butt I work 40 hrs a week I come home take care of chickens wow that's hard ive had birds long long time just never done the meat thing. how can one add labor i don't come home from work and figure boy im off for 12 hours better not do a thing but sit because im not making money

It's hard to beat the price of a bird from the store. They are $1.29 a lb where we are, you can get a big chicken for about $6. If you have the time, and the potential customers, if it's worth it to you for $2-3 profit a bird, go for it.

There are always misc. costs too, such as bedding, potential fatalities, and the feed consumption by 8 weeks old is around 15lbs per bird.

works for me I really wasn't going to go in full scale of selling meat birds I really only wanted to raise them myself and sell maybe a cuple dozen I do Purdy good at selling ready to lay leghorn pullets for 10 dollars a piece

how can you add that in the barns already been built long long time ago mortgage and insurance I have to pay regardless if I have the chickens or not. Waters free I get it from the pond. why would I count labor im not a lazy butt I work 40 hrs a week I come home take care of chickens wow that's hard ive had birds long long time just never done the meat thing. how can one add labor i don't come home from work and figure boy im off for 12 hours better not do a thing but sit because im not making money

Having a hobby (a jolly time activity, but a loss, loss financial proposition) is one thing , selling one's product ( a business activity) is another. I would have a heart to heart conversation with a reputable CPA that specializes in farming.
idunno.gif

i was not looking to go into this full time business. to me that's the problem with people now a days if their not making 20 dollars a hour for work their not happy. im not looking to get rich I love raising chickens and farming I also work full time at a factory. if I can come out ahead 2-3 dollars on every chicken I sell im happy. I raise leghorn pullets from day old to 17 weeks ready to lay I only have 2-3 dollars in them at 17 weeks depending on fluctuation on feed prices I turn around and sell them for 8 dollars a piece 800 dollars minus the 300 dollars I have in them to me that's worth it every 18 weeks walking out to my backyard to take care of them daily Purdy easy 500 dollars

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom