Cornish Rock cross finished size issues

Chickenvy

Chirping
13 Years
May 19, 2010
We have purchased 2 large number batches of cornish rock cross meat bird chicks from two separate hatcheries and the birds have been, to say the least, a huge disappointment, (a year apart raised as Joel Salatin does). In the past for us to get 6-7 lb birds from a 8 week batch was common. Now we're lucky to get 3-5lbs, a couple maybe hit 6lbs at 11 weeks. We've even had birds that never made it to a pound, they have remained "chick size". We use organic and NON-GMO feed, so you know that isn't cheap. I realize the "pandemic" and "bird flu" have impacted lines, or is the reason given. Also, it has been mentioned to us that all birds come from a single large hatchery and they are trying to rebuild lines. Is there a hatchery people have used that has this issue? Has anyone else experienced something similar? We purchase the Jumbos or Cobb 500.

Could be from weather change to being stressed out, make sure they have plenty of water and add a half of a watermelon that seems to work for me.
We only grow them during the cooler times here in florida, years earlier batches that did run into July we got 7-8lb birds. That wouldn't account for the birds that barely made it to a pound after 11 weeks, they are the size of what a regular chicken would be at same age. From the beginning there were quite a few that never grew, in this batch and last batch. This is something new for us, we have been growing CX for over 10 years.

That wouldn't account for the birds that barely made it to a pound after 11 weeks, they are the size of what a regular chicken would be at same age. From the beginning there were quite a few that never grew, in this batch and last batch. This is something new for us, we have been growing CX for over 10 years.
To me, that sounds like you did not get CX. There is no way that should ever happen with true CX. Have you discussed it with the hatchery? I think they sent you the wrong birds,

I agree with the others. It sounds like you did not get Cornish X. Did you take pictures of the birds? Maybe you can send them to the hatchery along with your receipt and try to get a refund at least. Sorry this happened to you! That's a real bummer.

I've read that one of the parent lines of Jumbo Cornish Rock Cross is dwarf females. I wonder if you got some dwarf birds. This shouldn't happen, but I did have one "runt" in my last batch. I wonder if it was a dwarf bird.

I ordered 25 from Welp Hatchery in January, butchered in March, and was very happy with them. They were so heavy by 9 wks that I had trouble holding them with one hand.

Which hatcheries did you order them from?

I agree with the others. It sounds like you did not get Cornish X. Did you take pictures of the birds? Maybe you can send them to the hatchery along with your receipt and try to get a refund at least. Sorry this happened to you! That's a real bummer.
11 weeks of food and time for $1.90 +/- refund?....

Back
Top Bottom