Commercial Feeds - what do you like, and why?

canesisters

Crowing
11 Years
Aug 18, 2011
Virginia
What brand of feed do you feed and why? I'm looking for recommendations of widely available feeds for a flock of grown chickens. I prefer to feed pellets but have been having a terrible time finding a reliable source of quality pelleted feed.. SO - I guess I'll have to go back to crumbles. Since I have a rooster, I don't want to give them layer feeds. I have a calcium feeder available to them instead.

** I know that many folks prefer to mix their own feeds - or to buy special mixes from local feed stores - and I think that is wonderful. But for right now, I'm just looking to see which of the commercially available feeds people are using and why they like it.

Last edited:
hey I see you are from Virginia, I think I met you at the Dinwiddie swap... I use Southern States brand feed exclusively. It is priced well, and they have great choices. My favorite feed by far that I feed to hens as well as males AND chicks once they reach about 12 weeks is Southern States Rockin Rooster Growth Booster. I love it! It has I believe 20% protein, and it only comes in pellets. I love this product in that you can just buy one type of feed for all stages and ages. I think it's between $14 - 15 which is cheaper than Dumor and Purina.

Note, make sure you tell them that you want the booster, as rockin rooster also comes in a 5 grain scratch and they sometimes get confused, the bags look the same.

http://www.southernstates.com/catalog/p-9973-southern-states-rock-n-rooster-growth-booster-50lb.aspx

Great! Thank you. I was just doing some online 'windows shopping' and was looking at that. This may be just the thing I'm looking for.

Hey Gallus, we're having another swap at BT Hargraves this Saturday - maybe see you there again? I know there are a few folks planning to bring chicks this time, one who said they're bringing the bunnies again, and someone said they were bringing a bunch of jams & jellies.

I got the Rocking Rooster this weekend, the flock seems to really like it.

Back
Top Bottom