Commercial Poison (err... "Feed")

The link Stormcrow posted is the same statement I am aware of. I think his link links it from where I posted it a degree or two of separation away.

TS didn’t do much in the first couple of weeks of the theory going viral because reacting strongly to it would only stoke the flames and draw more attention to it.

I also think they realized its refuting the theory with the most likely true answer was a dangerous thing. That truth being that that laying dry spells of several months is biologically normal due to maturation and molting. Hitting people up hard and direct with that answer questions both the believers’ experience with chickens and their critical thinking skills for not knowing the most obvious explanation. That’s a quick way to further turn someone off from your brand.

People took this most recent theory quite personally. I got banned from a survivalist-oriented forum for challenging a moderator who believed in the TS conspiracy theory. I only argued the facts, primarily the science of egg laying and the math that dictates that hens must take long breaks as they age or else all of the known science behind egg laying is wrong. He found that by me arguing the science, I was calling indirectly calling believers idiots, therefore I was violating forum policies because factual arguments that made people feel insulted, was in fact being insulting. Seriously, I’m not making that up or exaggerating it. His logic was “you say the science proves X. If that’s true, only an idiot would believe the conspiracy theory. I believe the conspiracy theory and you’re making me feel like an idiot. Therefore, I declare that you’ve called me an idiot. You’re banned.”

Unfortunately, that’s how many conspiracy theorists react when questioned. Whatever theory they latch on to is very personal to them and they don’t hold it to the same skepticism they put to official narratives.

There’s no winning with that kind of person, so TS was shrewd to let the theory die on its on without further alienating customers by questioning their beliefs through strongly worded statements, even though the beliefs were faulty.
LOL
Now that is funny.
Not HAHA funny, but a giggle's worth.
Sadly it is also true. I mean, if they believed the science, they would not be conspiracy nuts (nor preppers or survivalists)

LOL
Now that is funny.
Not HAHA funny, but a giggle's worth.
Sadly it is also true. I mean, if they believed the science, they would not be conspiracy nuts (nor preppers or survivalists)
Well, that’s where nuance comes in. I see no contradiction between science, prepping, or survivalism. They’re apples and oranges. Prepping and survivalism are philosophies that don’t directly relate to the biological sciences. If there is a field of study that directly relates to prepping or survivalism as philosophies, it would likely be history and current events.

Last edited:
...if they believed the science, they would not be conspiracy nuts (nor preppers or survivalists)
Do you have a different word for people who look like preppers or survivalists but DO have sensible reasons for their behavior?

For example:
I grew up in a place where it was common to get heavy snow in the winter, that could block roads and knock down trees and power lines. This was before the internet, and the weather forecasts were not particularly accurate anyway, so people did not always have notice of when a big snowfall would happen. Many people had backup generators, and every sensible person kept at least a few days' worth of food on hand at all times (food that would not spoil, and could be eaten without heating). We all lived as if we might wake up to find ourselves snowbound and without power-- because sometimes we really did!

Do you have a different word for people who look like preppers or survivalists but DO have sensible reasons for their behavior?

For example:
I grew up in a place where it was common to get heavy snow in the winter, that could block roads and knock down trees and power lines. This was before the internet, and the weather forecasts were not particularly accurate anyway, so people did not always have notice of when a big snowfall would happen. Many people had backup generators, and every sensible person kept at least a few days' worth of food on hand at all times (food that would not spoil, and could be eaten without heating). We all lived as if we might wake up to find ourselves snowbound and without power-- because sometimes we really did!
We just called them normal here. Maybe pack rats, but in a joking way, not a teasing way

Well, that’s where nuance comes in. I see no contradiction between science, prepping, or survivalism. They’re apples and oranges. Prepping and survivalism are philosophies that don’t directly relate to the biological sciences. If there is a field of study that directly relates to prepping or survivalism as philosophies, it would likely be history and current events.
there are more nuances involved as well, but those would go against community standards. :)

However, there should be science behind both, at least in action.
Like seed saving, food conservation, animal husbandry.
I see either existing well within the realm of solid scientific knowledge.
Much of it is sadly rooted in Lala land :hmm
Like when solid science is an attack on one's beliefs. That's a bad case of botulism waiting to happen.

Alas, we are hopping down the bunny trail on a tangent.

For example:
Pragmatic?

For example:
It isn't a bad thing to have supplies for a month on hand, or in bad weather situations.
Around here people storm the store for bread and milk, stuff that spoils when the power is out....
It is good to have some perishable goods in the pantry, for when the money gets tight. Shelf life of most canned goods exceeds the 'best by' date by far. Just don't carry it to the food pantry. (I get that old crap from my mother-in-law....she always thinks we are destitute....)
I do draw the line at the super couponers and the people who keep years worth of supplies in their basements. That involves some serious science and stock rotation.
A friend of mine has a bunch, but he can afford it, and he does rotate stock out before it goes past the date on the canister (so it can be donated)
A little storage is a good thing. it's cheaper to by a few days a month in larger amounts than going every day. Staples as flour, and such. I doubt that much of the survival food sees any use unless a natural disaster strikes.
And then you have to hope that proper stock rotation had happened and the food is still consumable.
those folks are arguably more organized than your average hoarder...but that is the only difference.
See the story about the sudden appearance of 500 pounds of pasta at a local dumping ground. I think it was in Main or so.
Seems the neighbors found out it was the son of a neighbor, cleaning out the house after the woman had passed away. over 500 pounds of pasta, that is a lot of noodles! I keep plenty on hand, but far from that!

Alas....going off the deep end here...

there are more nuances involved as well, but those would go against community standards. :)

However, there should be science behind both, at least in action.
Like seed saving, food conservation, animal husbandry.
I see either existing well within the realm of solid scientific knowledge.
Much of it is sadly rooted in Lala land :hmm
Like when solid science is an attack on one's beliefs. That's a bad case of botulism waiting to happen.

Alas, we are hopping down the bunny trail on a tangent.
What I’m getting at is that there’s no commonly accepted science that can confirm or deny the validity of prepping or survivalist philosophy. Science can tell someone how to or not go about the logistics of prepping, but can’t predict whether there will ever be a need to prep to begin with (putting aside climate or weather catastrophes that science may claim to predict with accuracy) . For example, suppose WWIII starts next week and causes a global economic collapse. Science can’t predict the coming of a man-made war like science might predict the track of a hurricane.

Science...can’t predict whether there will ever be a need to prep to begin with (putting aside climate or weather catastrophes that science may claim to predict with accuracy) . For example, suppose WWIII starts next week and causes a global economic collapse. Science can’t predict the coming of a man-made war like science might predict the track of a hurricane.
Science doesn't seem to predict big earthquakes or volcanic erruptions very well either, and those seem to happen even more often than world wars.

Back
Top Bottom