Commercial Poison (err... "Feed")

Pics
Prepping to an extent is sound reasoning in my opinion. I live in a rural area of the Sierra Nevada so it’s just been a fact of life. I grew up getting snowed in once to thrice in the winter, it doesn’t happen often anymore though, now wildfires are a more of the issue, power outages are frequent, and there’s always been the looming threat of “The Big One” earthquake, so it necessitates some prepping.

Now if one is prepping because of the fear of zombies, alien invasion, an inter-dimensional reptilian uprising, I would say some psychiatric help is probably more needed than that extra case or rice.
If the need is driven from societal collapse, cataclysmic natural disaster, nuclear war, I would say that your fears aren’t entirely unfounded one way or another but you really need to chill and investigate the plausibility of whatever it is in an objective way and not to let panic and fear control your life.

Social unrest, economic troubles, conflict, natural disasters, plague, are the norms of this world and always have been so I don’t see prepping as a symptom of lunacy, but it’s how it’s done and the ”whys” that make all the difference.

Prepping to some extent I see as a responsibility, in fact living where I do we are told that. “Prepare for the storm coming in. Don’t let the snow accumulate of your roof. Evacuate when instructed. Ensure you have at least several days worth of food and water. If the pass is closed don’t try to find a side road around it. Make sure you have a plan,” because doing so lessens the burden of first responders, businesses, govt. and everyone as a whole.

Or "in Germany in 2010 when illegal use of industrial oils led to fats used for animal feed becoming contaminated with dioxin (Kupferschmidt, 2011). Other examples include the use of furazolidone in animal feed and the melamine crisis in China in 2008 (Chen, 2009; Pei et al., 2011)."
You will find examples of this stuff throughout history, but they are rather rare. This is where knowing you feed company comes in & questioning said company. No one in the beginning of all the feed controversy ever asked the feed companies or TSC anything, They simply jumped on the internet & spouted their theories & the rest is history.

Prepping to an extent is sound reasoning in my opinion. I live in a rural area of the Sierra Nevada so it’s just been a fact of life. I grew up getting snowed in once to thrice in the winter, it doesn’t happen often anymore though, now wildfires are a more of the issue, power outages are frequent, and there’s always been the looming threat of “The Big One” earthquake, so it necessitates some prepping.

Now if one is prepping because of the fear of zombies, alien invasion, an inter-dimensional reptilian uprising, I would say some psychiatric help is probably more needed than that extra case or rice.
If the need is driven from societal collapse, cataclysmic natural disaster, nuclear war, I would say that your fears aren’t entirely unfounded one way or another but you really need to chill and investigate the plausibility of whatever it is in an objective way and not to let panic and fear control your life.

Social unrest, economic troubles, conflict, natural disasters, plague, are the norms of this world and always have been so I don’t see prepping as a symptom of lunacy, but it’s how it’s done and the ”whys” that make all the difference.

Prepping to some extent I see as a responsibility, in fact living where I do we are told that. “Prepare for the storm coming in. Don’t let the snow accumulate of your roof. Evacuate when instructed. Ensure you have at least several days worth of food and water. If the pass is closed don’t try to find a side road around it. Make sure you have a plan,” because doing so lessens the burden of first responders, businesses, govt. and everyone as a whole.
The bolded part sums up my philosophy on the subject. And I would add that the more prepping or survivalism because of lifestyle or a major economic expenditure, the more it should be a hobby a person enjoys.

You will find examples of this stuff throughout history, but they are rather rare. This is where knowing you feed company comes in & questioning said company. No one in the beginning of all the feed controversy ever asked the feed companies or TSC anything, They simply jumped on the internet & spouted their theories & the rest is history.
The lack of actual inquiry amd the fact it so quickly jumped to "Giant conspiracy, they want to make us all slaves to factory eggs by giving our birds birth control in the feed" is pretty much the entire reason I've become so annoyed with the constant feed arguments as of lately.

I can totally buy there being a poor harvest, or old feed. But I don't believe for one second that the shadowy puppet masters are out to get us through our chickens.

What I’m getting at is that there’s no commonly accepted science that can confirm or deny the validity of prepping or survivalist philosophy. Science can tell someone how to or not go about the logistics of prepping, but can’t predict whether there will ever be a need to prep to begin with (putting aside climate or weather catastrophes that science may claim to predict with accuracy) . For example, suppose WWIII starts next week and causes a global economic collapse. Science can’t predict the coming of a man-made war like science might predict the track of a hurricane.
Like I said: This is getting past the scope of BYC, I believe.

However, the wars of the last 100 (+) years have been a long time in the making.
None of them were a surprise.
I think the pandemic is a better example though. And shockingly we (as in the 4 conglomerates that control global commerce) have not learned a blessed thing from it.

it is neither here nor there.
you just can't stock food for more than a relatively short time (un;ess you have a huge farm, and then it is also tricky: Much of the harvest at one time or another had to be plowed under because the silos were full already)
The philosophy has turned into mental instability and vulnerability for a lot of people.
A lot, not even most, or many but a considerable number.
On the other spectrum are people who have trouble putting a pot of water on the boil

yes, I do agree.
I get a problem when you mention science and facts in certain circles that don't jive with the popular narrative, and suddenly you are a big fat meany.

or when the process is not fully thought out.
We had a 'friend' who got a really good deal on a huge number of tuna in a can.
So in an effort to store his great bargain, he had to build a shed for thousands of dollars! Truth be told, he still has the tuna.

Like I said: One should have some supplies on hand to span the needs for a little while.
be it illness, weather or what have you.
I mean, sometimes it is as simple as a pipeline not working for a day and you can't get gas for a week!

But back to the regularly scheduled program.
Like, why would a chicken feed mill sell tainted stuff that manages to make the birds not lay, but does not kill them (is that even possible)
While the country has a shortage and not just a willful price hike (as in the other sectors of consumer goods that are deeply rooted in corporate greed, judging by their profits!)

Back
Top Bottom