Comparing quail sizes

Well my JMF XLD birds are now 7 weeks. I weighed all the males (63), average was 225g, ranged from 198-261g. Kept 13 that weighed 240-261g with average of 248g. All the others are already in the freezer. Next week hope to go through all the hens, weigh and cull. Don't know how many I will keep for breeders until weighed. Getting a lot of eggs for 7 week olds, gathered at least 3 dozen from the two large grow out pens tonight, some really huge too.

I didn't get 7 week weights on my JMF quail. Because it was tooooo cooold! Brrr!

Was going to skip 8 week today, but braved the cold and got it done! I've had trouble keeping their water thawed even with heat lamps in the sub zero temps we're having.

Still had some good weights, including my huge huge JMF A&M hen 8 weeks 405 grams (that's over 14-1/4 ounces)! My largest A&M cock was 363 grams (over 12-3/4 ounces).

Finally had time and nice enough weather to weigh and cull my JMF 9.5 week olds.
Had 44 hens and 13 Roos, culled the smaller Roos at 7 weeks.
Hens ranged 245-341gm
Average 302gm
Roos ranged 252-283gm
Average 266.22gm
I kept the largest 17 hens that ranged 303-341gm, averaged 318.6gm/11.4oz.
Kept the largest 5 Roos that ranged 268.3-287.6gm, averaging 277.5gm/9.9oz.

A little disapointed in the size, was really hoping for 12-14 oz birds at this age.

Thank you so much for submitting your numbers. Look like we are seeing very similar weights and I agree that 12-14oz birds still seem to be very elusive. I will continue to follow and update this thread with my results and welcome anyone else to contribute any comparisons they may have. I have over 70 chicks hatched from my jumbos that are about 2 1/2 weeks old so we will see how many make a 12 oz weight, hopefully the weather will be more cooperative and not slow growth weights.

Im not sure what you ladies are using for a waterer but i am using a tube that is square about 3 inches deep and a fish tank heater in the middle works great set to 65-70 and my birds also have heat eating like normal drinking about the same but seem to be a little chilled adding a little warmer heat . 

went to help a friend who thought it was ok NOT to have her horse in a protected area like a barnstall extra so now her mare has phnemonia poor thing and she hasnt been eating much either pretty hard to chew when all your energy is gong to keep warm .

anyway Marry Christmas 

I use a gravity fed nipple water system in my breeder cages normally and a double wall chicken waterer in my grow out pen. Here in southern Oregon we don't normally see so many single digit temps in a row and normally frozen water is not a huge deal so I did not want to have to set up a recirculating water system or install heated waterers to all seven quail cages. Luckily we have warmed up a little and now only have to water once a day and may be able to get my gravity system back unfrozen soon.

I have also started a new wheat sprouting system and tried it out for the quails for the first time today. I have been giving it to my chickens for several days and they took to the sprouts easily. I tried three of my main breeding pens today, feed the sprouts on my lunch time and by dinner time two of the cages had completely devoured everything and the third cage had eaten most of it, leaving a few roots and tops. I have over 100 pounds of free wheat and barley so am glad I can supplement some variety to the chickens, quail, and may try some on my meat rabbits. I believe I will have a steady supply of free or nearly free wheat and barley. I am currently sprouting 1/2 cup a day that grows out to almost a pound of food.

Nice pictures Tammy! It is amazing how fast they grow. I did some spot weights on my batch of over sixty F1 babies at 5 weeks old, they averaged about 8 1/2 ounces. I will be butchering a bunch this weekend at six weeks old, they are eating an outstanding amount of food right now, probably 8-9 pounds of food a day for 65ish chicks. I may keep a pen of the largest chicks to see how big they get, depends on how the butchering is going, lol.

Wish you lived Closer id buy some off your hands . New hatch today so far 3 YIPPY they where so cold when they got here i didnt think any would make it box was turned on side Mail lady had a full car so she did baby them as she is also an animal lover but she called first to make sure i told her as well as Robby packs she could probably drop the box and crack just 3 if that .

i have not weighed them yes but today week 4 my little boys where doing the male call LOL i think i have 50/50 so im gonna have some nice males to choose from thats the hard part .
for me i think ill pick the top girls first body type and make sure they have the back ends for those big eggs . narrow hips will get freezer camp . so far i dont see any of those .
then ill choose my trios of girls by weight . then do the same with the roos . keeping a couple extra trios . i got a nice pair of whites that will be in the doggy treat dispencer LOL she loves her Quail eggs and that will give her joy and ill be able to get my main meat bird eggs to the bator .

Talked to Robby today and he sound very sick he got that Darned Flu going around . why do bad things happen to the good people ? just beyond me he has such a Huge heart Tammy

So far no major problems with legs or feet. I inspect feet at least weekly because they are on wire and no signs of bumble foot or sores. When first born the JMF chicks had a few culled early for spraddle leg and one with crooked toes, CL line was better on that. I also had to replace my largest JMF male because he developed a cross beak at around 10 weeks.

Glad to hear your crew is doing well, sounds like they are getting close to make some weight cuts for your breeders.

I've only dispatched once since I started my quail. Because my cages are outside I didn't want to put young birds out in the cold, so I thought I would wait until the spring for my 2nd batch. But the first batch I dispatched I stuffed with cream cheese and jalapenos and wrapped in bacon, then cooked on the grill. My family LOVED it. They asked me to make it for Christmas... I had to disappoint them and tell them they would have to wait until after the spring. I got my eggs from JMF also. They are wonderful little birds. And they started laying at 5 weeks too. I keep a light on them until around 11 pm, and they still give me lots of eggs. I have 15 hens, and they average 14 eggs a day.

Found this one doing a google
Ill try it wendsday
Does this look right to you ?

http://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/Quail-Jambalaya

SERVES 6 – 8
Jambalaya is a highly seasoned dish in which any of several combinations of seafood, meat, poultry, and vegetables is cooked with white rice. No two jambalayas are alike; most cooks usually use whatever they have on hand.
8 quail (about 2 lbs.), butterflied
1 tsp. salt
1⁄2 tsp. cayenne
4 large cloves garlic, peeled; 2 whole and 2 minced
4–5 tbsp. vegetable oil
1 cup finely chopped onion
1⁄2 cup finely chopped green bell pepper
2 bay leaves
1 1⁄2 cups long-grain white rice, uncooked
1 lb. Cajun andouille, sliced 1⁄4" thick
3 cups hot Chicken Stock or water
1⁄4 cup finely chopped scallions
1⁄4 cup finely chopped parsley

1. Season quail with salt and cayenne. Smash whole garlic cloves with the flat side of a knife. Rub smashed garlic on quail and discard garlic. Brown quail in vegetable oil in a large, heavy pot over medium heat. Cook in batches to ensure even browning, adding more oil as needed. Remove quail from pot as they brown and set aside.
2. In the same pot, combine onion, peppers, minced garlic, and bay leaves. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until onions are golden brown, about 20 minutes. Add rice and andouille and cook, stirring frequently, until lightly browned, 15–20 minutes. Add quail and chicken stock and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low, cover, and cook until chicken stock is absorbed, about 30 minutes.
3. Fluff rice with a fork and adjust seasoning. Just before serving, stir in scallions and parsley.

Back
Top Bottom