Comparing quail sizes

Found this one doing a google
Ill try it wendsday
Does this look right to you ?

http://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/Quail-Jambalaya

SERVES 6 – 8
Jambalaya is a highly seasoned dish in which any of several combinations of seafood, meat, poultry, and vegetables is cooked with white rice. No two jambalayas are alike; most cooks usually use whatever they have on hand.
8 quail (about 2 lbs.), butterflied
1 tsp. salt
1⁄2 tsp. cayenne
4 large cloves garlic, peeled; 2 whole and 2 minced
4–5 tbsp. vegetable oil
1 cup finely chopped onion
1⁄2 cup finely chopped green bell pepper
2 bay leaves
1 1⁄2 cups long-grain white rice, uncooked
1 lb. Cajun andouille, sliced 1⁄4" thick
3 cups hot Chicken Stock or water
1⁄4 cup finely chopped scallions
1⁄4 cup finely chopped parsley

1. Season quail with salt and cayenne. Smash whole garlic cloves with the flat side of a knife. Rub smashed garlic on quail and discard garlic. Brown quail in vegetable oil in a large, heavy pot over medium heat. Cook in batches to ensure even browning, adding more oil as needed. Remove quail from pot as they brown and set aside.
2. In the same pot, combine onion, peppers, minced garlic, and bay leaves. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until onions are golden brown, about 20 minutes. Add rice and andouille and cook, stirring frequently, until lightly browned, 15–20 minutes. Add quail and chicken stock and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low, cover, and cook until chicken stock is absorbed, about 30 minutes.
3. Fluff rice with a fork and adjust seasoning. Just before serving, stir in scallions and parsley.

Wow, those recipes look amazing, definitely going to try some. Just finishing out a hatch this weekend, about a hundred eggs made it to lockdown. In one incubator all but five hatched. In the other incubator I think my thermometer was reading low and it was actually too warm. Chicks started hatching a day too early and the hatch was drawn out over almost three days with about 15-20 eggs not hatching. Will be recalibrating my temps and setting some more eggs probably tomorrow because these chicks are all spoken for and have two more people waiting.

Wow. I just read through all 15 pages. I guess the verdict was the California's get biggest but JMF lay earlier and are still a pretty big bird? I am hatching 40 (there's some clear ones-so probably 25) lockdown is next Tuesday. I'd like to put another batch right in, of a different line, so I'm trying to decide which to go with.

I'd like both a meat and laying bird.

Wow. I just read through all 15 pages. I guess the verdict was the California's get biggest but JMF lay earlier and are still a pretty big bird? I am hatching 40 (there's some clear ones-so probably 25) lockdown is next Tuesday. I'd like to put another batch right in, of a different line, so I'm trying to decide which to go with.

I'd like both a meat and laying bird.

I would say the CL got bigger, faster but in the end breeders were pretty much the same size. The JMF birds do have a larger egg size on average though so I would favor them as far as egg production.

I would say the CL got bigger, faster but in the end breeders were pretty much the same size. The JMF birds do have a larger egg size on average though so I would favor them as far as egg production.
Yes. That would be my preference too. I'll be using some for meat, but eggs are my primary concern. I have 3 hungry sons and a hungry husband. In this house it's "you're quick or you're hungry" LOL. and a nice big breakfast is important for them-they are wrestlers!

I'll order my second wave next week as the first wave hatches! Thanks!

Also i am happy with the Bone structure of the JMF birds and he is Certified Npip if that matters to you at all
the Legs on the JMF birds will with stand the muscle of the bird and weight and that is awesome .

Also i am happy with the Bone structure of the JMF birds and he is Certified Npip if that matters to you at all
the Legs on the JMF birds will with stand the muscle of the bird and weight and that is awesome .
That's some very good points. Those things are very important to me-I'm a believer that any animal should be healthy, and comfortable while living. Stronger legs and bone structure is important. That's one reason I'll never do Meat Chickens again-their legs just give out. It's horribly sad.

I'm convinced. JMF will be my next source for quail.

Back
Top Bottom