Complicated Hen

Sassysouth

Free Ranging
7 Years
May 12, 2016
Decatur, AL
I bought an 11 month old hen last week, she had profuse diarrhea, possible history of mites. Lots of missing and broken feathers, comb and wattles appeared anemic. Stool sample was negative, per vet. I started Corid anyway, due to blood in her stool.
She is still passing blood, diarrhea is improved. She can stand and walk, but doesn’t want too. Will eat eggs & tuna, but refuses to eat feed, and I have offered 3 different kinds. I am at a loss.

What does her crop feel like—empty and flat, full and firm, or puffy like a balloon? Has she been laying eggs? I would be very afraid to add this hen to my flock with her symptoms, at least until a 30 day quarantine. She could have practically anything wrong with her. Get some Poultry Cell or NutriDrench and give her 2 ml daily. Mix some chicken feed with a lot of water, and add some chopped scrambled egg on top. Does she seem weak, is her lower belly enlarged between her legs? What are you using to treat her mites? Have you seen any on her?

What does her crop feel like—empty and flat, full and firm, or puffy like a balloon? Has she been laying eggs? I would be very afraid to add this hen to my flock with her symptoms, at least until a 30 day quarantine. She could have practically anything wrong with her. Get some Poultry Cell or NutriDrench and give her 2 ml daily. Mix some chicken feed with a lot of water, and add some chopped scrambled egg on top. Does she seem weak, is her lower belly enlarged between her legs? What are you using to treat her mites? Have you seen any on her?
Her crop has been full and firm. I have been adding Rooster Booster to her Corid Water. I have softened the feed, she will not touch it. If it is mixed with egg, she picks around it. I thought she may have been eating feed yesterday, because I saw her picking around in it. I think picking is all she was doing.
Her lower belly does not seem enlarged. I need to weigh her again today, she seems to be gaining weight. Her feathers are coming back in. Her comb and wattles have much better color. Even her beak is looking better.
I have not seen any mites, but do know the previous owner was dusting her. I have dusted her with Sevin dust. Her feet looked a little dry, but not the typical leg mite pictures. I have soaked, gently brushed and oiled her feet.
She is currently in my bathroom in a small cage. Yesterday afternoon I put her outside in a small run, and all she wanted to do was sit. She would avoid the sun and huddle up in a corner to avoid it. I put her out this morning, for a short time, and she just stood in one spot.

I would look over her legs to make sure that she can use both, that the legs look straight and normal, and look for any selling of joints and feet, or redness. She may have been hurt at her previous home, but I would be worried about Mareks disease. People are kind of bad to pass off birds who have been exposed to carriers of diseases, one reason I would never buy birds from someone. I hope she strats acting more normal. Perhaps try to tempt her with a little canned tuna or hamburger meat on top of her food.

I would look over her legs to make sure that she can use both, that the legs look straight and normal, and look for any selling of joints and feet, or redness. She may have been hurt at her previous home, but I would be worried about Mareks disease. People are kind of bad to pass off birds who have been exposed to carriers of diseases, one reason I would never buy birds from someone. I hope she strats acting more normal. Perhaps try to tempt her with a little canned tuna or hamburger meat on top of her food.

Her crop is empty today, I cannot see where she has eaten either. I put tuna on her feed. She has walked around the pen a little, pecking at grass. She still has an awful lot of dander. She refused getting weighed.
I got her from a NPIP farm who is very passionate about doing everything natural and only using a local feed. So, I don’t know and he had offered no insight, other than mites and Henrietta is not sick.

I have also offered Black Soldier Fly Larvae and Dubia Roaches. She just kills then and doesn’t eat them.

Last edited:
Her crop has been full and firm. I have been adding Rooster Booster to her Corid Water. I have softened the feed, she will not touch it. If it is mixed with egg, she picks around it. I thought she may have been eating feed yesterday, because I saw her picking around in it. I think picking is all she was doing.
Her lower belly does not seem enlarged. I need to weigh her again today, she seems to be gaining weight. Her feathers are coming back in. Her comb and wattles have much better color. Even her beak is looking better.
I have not seen any mites, but do know the previous owner was dusting her. I have dusted her with Sevin dust. Her feet looked a little dry, but not the typical leg mite pictures. I have soaked, gently brushed and oiled her feet.
She is currently in my bathroom in a small cage. Yesterday afternoon I put her outside in a small run, and all she wanted to do was sit. She would avoid the sun and huddle up in a corner to avoid it. I put her out this morning, for a short time, and she just stood in one spot.
Do not give vitamins along with Corid.
It will null the Corid treatment.

Back
Top Bottom