Any thoughts on my two Australorps? I'm fairly certain they're pullets based on behavior and feathers/combs/wattles

For 6.5 weeks, they're looking more like cockerels
I thought that at first, but the wattles they do have are very small and pale fleshy toned, not red. The wattles have also stayed pretty much the same size for weeks (my phone oversaturated a couple of pictures so pictured wattle colors aren't wholly accurate). Both their combs are black with pale fleshy/yellow areas and have also stayed the same size for a while. They act more like Poppy behavior wise. Probably won't know on them for sure until I see hackle and saddle feathers 🤷🏻‍♀️

An update, Vee (the moniker stuck) has been practicing his crowing now, although it sounds less like crowing and more like he's being strangled 😂 The chicks have been sleeping outside in their temporary pen but we had to bring them inside in their brooder bin when a bad windstorm hit last night, so we got treated to his attempts this morning!

But, along the same vein of what breed/gender am I, my next question (more out of curiosity than anything else) is what kind of mix do you think Vee might be? I highly doubt he's a true Ameraucana since he came out of a feed store bin, though he does have both beard and muffs. His coloration is really lovely, his head is a light bluish-grey, white body with the russet speckles across his shoulders, with darker grey feathers interspersed in his wings and tail. He's relatively small for a roo, not much larger than my pullets, and I can't say he's the bravest soul, he comes running to mom when the old hens get too close 😅

So any guesses on my little Easter Egger's parentage? I'm assuming one was obviously an Ameraucana, but best guess on what the other might've been?

This is really just for fun since his breed doesn't make too much of a difference to me outside of just curiosity 😊

Attachments

• IMG_20210602_193237~3.jpg
    IMG_20210602_193237~3.jpg
    487.6 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20210602_193145~2.jpg
    IMG_20210602_193145~2.jpg
    278.4 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20210602_193223~2.jpg
    IMG_20210602_193223~2.jpg
    522.7 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20210603_175018~2.jpg
    IMG_20210603_175018~2.jpg
    1,015.2 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20210603_175114.jpg
    IMG_20210603_175114.jpg
    434.4 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20210602_131015.jpg
    IMG_20210602_131015.jpg
    876.7 KB · Views: 8
An update, Vee (the moniker stuck) has been practicing his crowing now, although it sounds less like crowing and more like he's being strangled 😂 The chicks have been sleeping outside in their temporary pen but we had to bring them inside in their brooder bin when a bad windstorm hit last night, so we got treated to his attempts this morning!

But, along the same vein of what breed/gender am I, my next question (more out of curiosity than anything else) is what kind of mix do you think Vee might be? I highly doubt he's a true Ameraucana since he came out of a feed store bin, though he does have both beard and muffs. His coloration is really lovely, his head is a light bluish-grey, white body with the russet speckles across his shoulders, with darker grey feathers interspersed in his wings and tail. He's relatively small for a roo, not much larger than my pullets, and I can't say he's the bravest soul, he comes running to mom when the old hens get too close 😅

So any guesses on my little Easter Egger's parentage? I'm assuming one was obviously an Ameraucana, but best guess on what the other might've been?

This is really just for fun since his breed doesn't make too much of a difference to me outside of just curiosity 😊
He is not a first generation cross of other breeds. Easter eggers are the descendants of mixes that occurred long ago between South American breeds that laid blue eggs and other breeds common in the United States.

Back
Top Bottom