Connecticut!

I was actually looking for something unrelated, and I saw this story:
http://www.wfsb.com/story/24977007/infectious-chickens-found-in-condemned-plainville-home
Concerned as well as curious, I then searched more, to see if there was any detail about what was the "disease that was very infectious between chickens." I found it on the Courant's site: http://www.courant.com/community/plainville/hc-plainville-sick-chickens-0315-20140314,0,6372866.story
Laryngotracheitis includes two conditions: laryngitis and tracheitis. It's also called Gallid herpesvirus 1 (GaHV-1) (also known as Avian herpesvirus 1) is a virus of the family Herpesviridae that causes avian infectious laryngotracheitis. It was originally recognized as a disease of chickens in the United States in 1926. (Thanks wikipedia.) It says that it's spread by droplet inhalation, so I guess (hope) it isn't something that could randomly spread into other areas/towns. I feel kind of bad for the people involved (but worse for the poor chickens, of course). I know we joke on here about Chicken Math, but this sound like a case of real chicken hoarding; so sad.

Here it is everyone, as promised! I hope everyone comes!
LL

Last edited:
So yesterday I went out to collect eggs and I found my 11 month old Blue Andelusian dead on the floor of the coop. She had seemed fine 20 minutes earlier. I had them out with me in the yard. No sign if anything wrong at all. Any ideas? Is something going around? I live in East Haddam.

So yesterday I went out to collect eggs and I found my 11 month old Blue Andelusian dead on the floor of the coop. She had seemed fine 20 minutes earlier. I had them out with me in the yard. No sign if anything wrong at all. Any ideas? Is something going around? I live in East Haddam.
so sorry.
hugs.gif
You didn't notice anything? No symptoms? no signs of predators? No change in the pecking order? This is the only part of keeping chickens I dislike.

Ok my chicjen loving friends mark your calenders may 17 sat in westport
my good buddy Lauren Scheuer will be in westport for Wakeman farms famous coop tours
more details to come

so sorry.
hugs.gif
You didn't notice anything? No symptoms? no signs of predators? No change in the pecking order? This is the only part of keeping chickens I dislike.
Thanks very much. Actually I had been out with them all day...doing a little spruce up in the coop. (new dust bath, new shavings, new hay in the nest boxes. I let them run loose for a while and she was running around like the rest of them. She flew up to the top of the coop and was flapping her wings... I was thinking that she was so very cute. I had to chase off a hawk two times, (very scary)..I put the girls back in and came in to clean the house. I had some egg customers coming by and I was short 1 egg. I went out not 20 minutes later to check for an egg and there she was...dead...no sign of trauma, no broken bones, no blood...just like she was asleep dead on the floor. I grabbed her and shook her...she was still warm.. The only thing I can think of is that all the other chickens are showing signs of being picked at a little. She had no signs of it. I've never seen her pick, but maybe she was... got herself some feathers blocking things up? She had an egg that morning like normal too. I know because I watched her do it. My friend said that West Nile came through and killed her chickens a few years ago. I don't know.. so strange.

Thanks very much. Actually I had been out with them all day...doing a little spruce up in the coop. (new dust bath, new shavings, new hay in the nest boxes. I let them run loose for a while and she was running around like the rest of them. She flew up to the top of the coop and was flapping her wings... I was thinking that she was so very cute. I had to chase off a hawk two times, (very scary)..I put the girls back in and came in to clean the house. I had some egg customers coming by and I was short 1 egg. I went out not 20 minutes later to check for an egg and there she was...dead...no sign of trauma, no broken bones, no blood...just like she was asleep dead on the floor. I grabbed her and shook her...she was still warm.. The only thing I can think of is that all the other chickens are showing signs of being picked at a little. She had no signs of it. I've never seen her pick, but maybe she was... got herself some feathers blocking things up? She had an egg that morning like normal too. I know because I watched her do it. My friend said that West Nile came through and killed her chickens a few years ago. I don't know.. so strange.
I would get a necropsy done for peace of mind.

Back
Top Bottom