Connecticut!

We are CT hobby farmers. We have 6 hens and a rooster. The rooster is a leghorn crossed with a Rhode Island red. The hens are all mixed. They are pretty much free range but have a coop and pen they return to at night.

My husband has started raising quails. He wanted Bobwhites but ended up with Buttons. He is trying to locate a dozon or so (25 max) Bobwhite chicks. Does anyone know where he can get them in this range?

Morning all. I picked up some 5 week old easter egger chicks yesterday from Fairfield. The gentleman also had a severely cross beaked chick that he gave me with the 3 I purchased. I am worried that this chick won't be able to keep up with the other chicks and the other hens that I have. The chicks are in their own pen for the next 2 months. I guess what I need to know is if there is a way to help fix the cross beak, can the chick be debeaked to help it eat better, or should it be culled. I would really like to give it the best shot at life but I cannot tube feed several times a day and it has to be able to eat on its own. I know debeaking is cruel in most cases so please don't bash me. I'm just looking for realistic options. Any help would be appreciated.

Morning all. I picked up some 5 week old easter egger chicks yesterday from Fairfield. The gentleman also had a severely cross beaked chick that he gave me with the 3 I purchased. I am worried that this chick won't be able to keep up with the other chicks and the other hens that I have. The chicks are in their own pen for the next 2 months. I guess what I need to know is if there is a way to help fix the cross beak, can the chick be debeaked to help it eat better, or should it be culled. I would really like to give it the best shot at life but I cannot tube feed several times a day and it has to be able to eat on its own. I know debeaking is cruel in most cases so please don't bash me. I'm just looking for realistic options. Any help would be appreciated.
Probably be better asking that question in the Emergencies/Disease/Injuries/Cures Section. You will get a much larger audience to help answer your question.

Have 4 BBR clean-faced, rumpless araucana cockerels. Asking $10/ each. Also have 3 frizzle cockerels $5 each. All vaccinated for Mareks. Located in Farmington. Please pm if interested.

Hi Everyone!

We built a big fenced in chicken yard for our girls, and right now it's nice and grassy, but I expect that it will just be dirt in no time- I'd like to plant some shrubs/bushes for them to have some shade, and places to relax and hide. And for a little variety in the yard. Any suggestions? I've heard they wont go after some of the tall ornamental grasses, and I was wondering about a smallish arborvitae-

My Google search was kind of iffy about whether the arborvitae are poisonous- and I'd really prefer to NOT poison them, know what I mean.

What do you guys have in the chicken area that works?

Thanks!

Susan

You may want to try one of those chicken veggie boxes. You basically plant salad types or grass in a short box on the ground covered with chicken wire. A friend of mine did this and it seems to work well. The stuff grows up through the wire, chickens eat it and your left with plants that will grow again to repeat the process.

Back
Top Bottom