Connecticut!

How are the rest of my CT peeps preparing for the impending Blizzard Colbie (aka Juno)?
I have to go out and find/repair a starter cord for the snowblower that my landlord provided for my use. Yikes!
I don't think I actually could do it, but I'm giving some consideration to bringing my 3 girls inside, maybe to the cellar, since the coop is all the way in the back of my yard--lots of space to cross in 2+ feet of snow, if I can't snowblow. Otherwise it'll be put the feeder and water bowl in the coop, not the run, in case the snow gets in through the hardware cloth where the plastic (from a mattress a coupla years ago) has ripped loose from the back of the run.
sad.png

Just got back in from securing the goose barn. Extra bedding, extra food and water in case it's too bad to go out later. Closed up the vents that are on the side of prevailing winds. We use a large snow blower to cut paths out to the animals. I love keeping birds, but this kind of weather really tests a girl's resolve. ; )
Stay warm and safe everyone!

We (the kids and I) will be shoveling a path to our coop which is behind our garage. I'm sure that the chickens will be fine but just in case I have a huge dog crate set up in the basement for our 8 hens and 1 rooster.

I brought my girlie inside. I live on ~4 acres so instead of tropping through snow I set up my Mastiff puppy cage with hay and let her roam the cellar during the day. I stuck a long hawaiian stick between the barns as a perch and a makeshift brooder though she never uses it, she just makes nests haha :)

I converted a small part of our walkout basement to night pen. I have fewer concerns now about predators and deep snow and big winds and cold temperatures - the 9 Runners and 4 Buffs are happy and healthy, and I don't have to suit up to check on them.

My babies are all locked up in their coop with fresh food and water. Hopefully I'll be able to shovel out a path to them tomorrow afternoon. It's my first big storm with chickens and I'm so worried about them! Stay safe everyone!

We put our 5 girls into a big dog crate. We put some bedding down as well as food and water for them! For the roost we stuck a wooden pole through the cage for them to sleep on. Hope it works! Our coop is at the very end of our property, so needing to walk that far through almost 3 feet of snow really didn't seem too fun. This is our first storm with them so I was a bit worried, but my neighbor has 6 huge dogs and was kind enough to lend us the crate.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom