Connecticut!

Quote:
Welcme to BYC, Melissa!!! It's my first year with chickens and I'm amazed at how well they are doing in the cold, snowy winter without too much extra effort on my part. I did pick out "cold hardy" breeds to start with though. Ventilation without drafts it key for the coop. The one thing we missed---we built a really nice covered run, but the snow blows inside and the girls won't walk on snow, so I have to shovel and shovel and shovel. Next year we will wrap two sides with clear plastic. Haunt the coop pages, that's where I got ideas and I'm headed there now for more for inside the coop.

KimberlyJ

The song was inspired by his dog that was hit by a car and dieing. Did you know Whitney Houston`s mother sang back up on that song. He use to live in Redding CT or was that Garfunkle. He still might. They would show up at Sycamore once in a while.

Last edited:
Quote:
Try not to think of it as keeping the chickens warm, but preventing them from freezing. They can tolerate cold temperatures far better than you can.

Much was made in the last century about "fresh air" houses, i.e., open fronted coops. These were shed roof designs, to conserve materials and simplify construction. Back then they advocated double layers of tarred felt on the roof. Asphalt shingles over roofing paper should do as well. Their shed coops were sided with planks, but I would use either plywood covered with siding shingles or rolled roofing. Also, whatever inexpensive siding material was available to you would be as good.

These coops had large windows on one side facing south, covered with screen and canvas blinds - no glass.
The blinds were oiled canvas or oilcloth stretched on frames, sized to fit the framed opening. On fair winter days or during summer they were raised like an awning, providing natural light and shade, like an awning. When the weather turned nasty, they were fit into the opening and secured, to shut the coop up from the elements.
Some people advocated coops with NO coverings on the front, in fact, and much of the development of these coops was in Rhode Island and Maine.

Make sure you have a 2 ft. eave on your coop. It will help keep driven snow and rain out of it. You may also wish to add weather flaps to the top foot of window opening. These can remain open under the eaves, in bad weather, to provide insulation.

I suggest you insulate the coop, just as you would a house. This includes the walls and ceiling. But leave no insulation exposed where chicken can reach- chickens love it and will shred it to bits!
Leave the front open with the large openings, as described. Add an entrance door for you. None of this is expected to be air tight, either. Ventilation, especially in winter, is crucial.

For heat, I would add a small "milk house" heater. These are rugged, low wattage fan driven heaters. They,re not designed to provide cozy warmth, but rather to keep thigns from freezing. Place one near the roosting area with a sloped cover over it so the birds cannot perch on it.
Get one of those coffee mug warmers at the local thrift store and keep it under the water panto prevent the water from icing over. Affix a domed wire frame over the water so the chickens can get their head in, but cannot climb up on or in the water pan itself.
Should you follow my advice, you'll include electric power, so add an electric lamp overhead every 6-8 feet.

If you want so see more on this idea, visit this link: http://www.journeytoforever.org/farm_library/ppp/ppp4.html

Last edited:
Quote:
Hi Melissa,

Welcome to the area, You're only one Burlington away from me. Harwinton is a beautiful woodsy area and your chickens will love it. Chickens are a very hearty critter. So long as the elements can't actually enter the coop they will be fine.
My girls are in a coop with no artificial heat or light. They are surviving the winter just fine with no signs of sickness or frostbite.
However be forwarned that chickens are an addiction - I hope you get to enjoy your illness as much as I enjoy mine.

Thanks for advice

I ordered.....

2 silver-laced wyandottes
2 welsummers
2 cuckoo marans
2 easter eggers
big_smile.png

Was only suppose to order 3-4 chicks total.....

Lets see................................

You've already ordered twice the amount you planned to??

I have a feeling that you have a predisposition for the chickens addiction illness that has claimed us all. Chicken math is one of the first visible signs.

I have 2 of the 4 breeds you ordered. The EE's are my favorite breed and have proven to be my best winter layers.

Somewhat off topic, but... you guys!! I was just outside and it's going to be a gorgeous day! It's [almost] warm! I never use this many exclamation points!
wee.gif

Happy beginning of the end of winter!

My run is one big mud pit even though it is sloped. I put all kinds of stuff in it so the girls can roost( Old chairs) but they just love running around and digging in the mud. My roo likes mud wrestling if you know what I mean
wink.png
They are a mess and look like they are neglected.
hu.gif

Hey guys....anyone in the area looking for a bantam polish rooster or a dove? I posted online, but would rather have a BYC member who is looking!

Muddy here today too. Its almost a shame when it is this nice, but so muddy this kids cant get outside! But hey, I'll take it!

Back
Top Bottom