Connecticut!

It is sooo sad when you see the poor things just terrified to death and you have tried all you can possibly think of to no avail.

It's rainy here in Connecticut - I hope my birds don't catch cold!
wink.png

My 13 week old Columbian Wyandotte is so much bigger than her Golden-laced friend, and her comb is turning red already - I"m kind of hoping she might start laying before 20 weeks... she has become almost tame.

Hi CT peeps, I'd like to gather some opinions.

I've been ruminating on hoop tractor/coop designs, as I would dearly love to keep my accidental roo but may have to keep him separate from our silkies. I'm basically trying to think of a way to add a cheap and quick separate housing option....as we already blew a lot of money with a premade coop due to time constraints.

Does anyone overwinter in a more open hoop house design? I know there's that old-timey Fresh Air Poultry Houses book which suggests full open ventilation in winter, and this would be for my large fowl rather than the silkies. But still....no one seems to do this except in warmer climates. Any thoughts? If I did it, I'd be placing a hardware cloth skirt around it to avoid digging predators. Probably cattle panel covered by hardware cloth over PVC hoops....and I don't know about the "coop" portion.

How open?
Hi CT peeps, I'd like to gather some opinions.
I've been ruminating on hoop tractor/coop designs, as I would dearly love to keep my accidental roo but may have to keep him separate from our silkies. I'm basically trying to think of a way to add a cheap and quick separate housing option....as we already blew a lot of money with a premade coop due to time constraints.
Does anyone overwinter in a more open hoop house design? I know there's that old-timey Fresh Air Poultry Houses book which suggests full open ventilation in winter, and this would be for my large fowl rather than the silkies. But still....no one seems to do this except in warmer climates. Any thoughts? If I did it, I'd be placing a hardware cloth skirt around it to avoid digging predators. Probably cattle panel covered by hardware cloth over PVC hoops....and I don't know about the "coop" portion.

Well, that's the question. Can they have a tarp covering one end and some nest boxes and be OK? Do I need essentially a full regular coop and the hoop house makes an easy/cheap run?

I'm wondering if I should do a pallet coop and somehow attach it.

Life would be so much simpler without the surprise Roo. Margitas, we may have a Partridge boy for you in a couple months! I'd like to keep him still, but if dear husband thinks he's smushing the silkies in over-amorous zeal he'll have to have fully separate quarters or new parents.

I love Greek Pizza, there is a Greek Pizza place that I go to in Bridgeport. Excellent pizza!!

CT people come to Central Pizza located in North Branford for great Greek Pizza. Alot of Polish and Russians love our Greek pizza. We also make Greek salads, Gyros, and the best grinders/sandwich.

Back
Top Bottom