Consolidated Kansas

Well she didn't make it overnight to go to the vet. That was the last of my 1 yr olds.
Thanks for the help
Probably the best bet if you want to take the bird to the vet is to call and ask about their office call price.

That said, if your bird isn't a special pet and she is egg bound, the kindest thing to do is euthanize her (nicer word than cull).  I had the vet euthanize a pet hen once for egg peritonitis.  It cost me $30 for the office call and he was very nice about it. 

Well she didn't make it overnight to go to the vet. That was the last of my 1 yr olds.
Thanks for the help
Quote:
Sorry you lost your bird. It's unfortunately one of those things we have to deal with with chickens. But I for one know that they can be very special and like any other pet when it comes to loving them.

Yes it is. The wife went out several times a week to dig up worms for her and she come to the door and cackle til she would come out and start digging. Just stand there and and gobble up worms and scratch looking for more. Is there anything you can do to help prevent them getting egg bound?

Sorry you lost your bird. It's unfortunately one of those things we have to deal with with chickens. But I for one know that they can be very special and like any other pet when it comes to loving them.

Yes it is. The wife went out several times a week to dig up worms for her and she come to the door and cackle til she would come out and start digging. Just stand there and and gobble up worms and scratch looking for more. Is there anything you can do to help prevent them getting egg bound?
Quote:
Some birds are just predisposed to becoming egg bound. This is a problem that creeps up more often in hatchery breeds. I've only had one bird egg bound and that was because she always laid in the exact place every day and help her egg cause she was kept away from it. But I've treated many birds that have been egg bound for other chicken owners.
One common cause of being egg bound is from not having the proper nutrients. You must have a level of calcium and vitamin D and protein to make the parts work right. I don't recommend coral calcium that is often sold in farm stores. It only works when taken into their gizzard and worn down slowly. Calcium carbonate or limestone is the most easily digested form of calcium for all birds. You can buy a 50 pound bag of Calcium carbonate to be mixed in feed for under $4.00 a bag. It is tiny little granules, but not quite powder.
But you also need to be sure that they have the other minerals and vitamins to balance that out. Free ranging is the best way to achieve this.
But as I said sometimes you just can't prevent it in some birds.
It's a very sad thing.

So should be able to get from coop in mulvane? We have 5 new birds we got from atwoods that seem to be doing very good, we have them on game bird food crumbles and free ranging. Will the prevention dose of corid in their water hurt them at all?

Some birds are just predisposed to becoming egg bound. This is a problem that creeps up more often in hatchery breeds. I've only had one bird egg bound and that was because she always laid in the exact place every day and help her egg cause she was kept away from it. But I've treated many birds that have been egg bound for other chicken owners.
One common cause of being egg bound is from not having the proper nutrients. You must have a level of calcium and vitamin D and protein to make the parts work right. I don't recommend coral calcium that is often sold in farm stores. It only works when taken into their gizzard and worn down slowly. Calcium carbonate or limestone is the most easily digested form of calcium for all birds. You can buy a 50 pound bag of Calcium carbonate to be mixed in feed for under $4.00  a bag. It is tiny little granules, but not quite powder.
But you also need to be sure that they have the other minerals and vitamins to balance that out. Free ranging is the best way to achieve this.
But as I said sometimes you just can't prevent it in some birds.
It's a very sad thing.

So should be able to get from coop in mulvane? We have 5 new birds we got from atwoods that seem to be doing very good, we have them on game bird food crumbles and free ranging. Will the prevention dose of corid in their water hurt them at all?

Is there some reason you're feeding game bird food to your chicks? It normally doesn't have the medication in it like the chick starter would if you buy the medicated that is. The Corid dose shouldn't hurt them. I'm sorry you lost your hen, sometimes there just isn't much you can do for them & there aren't many Vets who will even treat chickens. We usually just have to research & figure things out on our own. That's why we share things on here & help each other out.

Danz I just don't see coyotes here during the day, they come out at night about every night. I'm pretty sure we do have a fox den down on the front 5 acres in the wooded part. I saw it when I was down there blocking places in the fence where the ground wasn't level. I know we have them here along with about every other predator. That would explain some losses during the day here, for me. With a dog next door now that barks all the time that keeps the coyotes out of that property now where they used to come right up to the fence line there. We still have them on the sides where the other neighbors have their dogs in fences & we just have barbed wire on those sides as well. I wish we could afford to fence the whole thing with better fence but we're still trying to get the paddocks done for the sheep & goats, one more to go.

My hatch finished last night & I finally can fill a couple of orders that have been waiting a long time, yay! I hope soon to be able to fill a couple more.

High in protein and I feed no medicaded feed would rather do natural like apple cider vinegar and de... I might be going about it wrong, I just try to medicate when needed.
[COLOR=0000FF]Is there some reason you're feeding game bird food to your chicks? It normally doesn't have the medication in it like the chick starter would if you buy the medicated that is. The Corid dose shouldn't hurt them. I'm sorry you lost your hen, sometimes there just isn't much you can do for them & there aren't many Vets who will even treat chickens. We usually just have to research & figure things out on our own. That's why we share things on here & help each other out.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=0000FF]Danz I just don't see coyotes here during the day, they come out at night about every night. I'm pretty sure we do have a fox den down on the front 5 acres in the wooded part. I saw it when I was down there blocking places in the fence where the ground wasn't level. I know we have them here along with about every other predator. That would explain some losses during the day here, for me. With a dog next door now that barks all the time that keeps the coyotes out of that property now where they used to come right up to the fence line there. We still have them on the sides where the other neighbors have their dogs in fences & we just have barbed wire on those sides as well. I wish we could afford to fence the whole thing with better fence but we're still trying to get the paddocks done for the sheep & goats, one more to go.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=0000FF]My hatch finished last night & I finally can fill a couple of orders that have been waiting a long time, yay! I hope soon to be able to fill a couple more.[/COLOR]

High in protein and I feed no medicaded feed would rather do natural like apple cider vinegar and de... I might be going about it wrong, I just try to medicate when needed.

Chicken feed is formulated for the nutritional needs of chickens so they really don't need the higher protein of the game bird feed - except possible during molting. However I don't increase the protein in times of molt and have never had any issues.

Another busy day involving milk and its by-products. I made a batch of cow's milk cheese and a batch of goat milk chèvre. I also made a gallon of ice-cream. I am taking a day OFF tomorrow as I'm caught up enough with milk that I can afford to take one day off before it starts all over.

Yes you should be able to get it at about any full service coop. The label on what I buy is CCR. I agree that game bird crumbles aren't formulated for chickens. The corid will not hurt the chicks at all. Giving them preventive corid in water is no different than having it in their feed.
Giving natural remedies will not prevent coccidiosis. It's not a bacterium, it's a parasite that exists every where. To prevent it, keeping the birds at ultimate health and cleanliness is the best prevention aside for protective doses of Corid or amprolium for the first 6 weeks.
@Trish44 I just cut and copied this off of Natural History.
It is actually not unusual to see a coyote or fox out during the day. Coyotes and foxes will venture out during daylight hours in search of food. Both animals are opportunistic feeders, meaning they will hunt for food as the opportunity presents itself – regardless of day or night. Additionally, both coyotes and foxes eat squirrels, and squirrels are only active during the day! So, if you see a fox or coyote outside during the day, he is most likely in pursuit of a squirrel, small rodent, or other daytime food source.
It also said the foxes and coyotes will hunt 24 hours a day when they have a litter to feed.

It's been raining here ALL day long. I need to get out and feed but I was really hoping for a break in the weather. I guess I have no choice at this point.

Back
Top Bottom