Constipated Broody Hen - wont eat, drink or poop

Fowl Explorer

Songster
8 Years
May 30, 2015
Central Virginia
I have a broody pullet, her first brood. She was hazed a bit by the other hens and chased off her eggs, so I put a cage in front of her nest to avoid moving her and set her up with food, water, grit, etc. She then refused to leave her nest. I did see some drop in the water, but not enough to be adequate, in my estimation (I'm not an expert). Advice was to leave the broody alone and she would do what needed doing. So, I left the broody alone, we put water near her and food with protein treats where she could see it. She stayed in the nest. Then the chickens sent me a chicken complaint group about the smell in the coop. I checked and she really stank like poop. That night we went to the egg trap door and moved her out, I moved the eggs (which were clean)to another nest and pulled the mat and shavings out and dumped it for cleaning. She had made a giant poop (or more than 1). Then I put in an entirely new nest pad with new shavings after scraping it out the best I could. Put eggs back in, then hen who had whined the whole time. Her vent was clean, but her feathers stank (hope they'll air out at some point).

I checked her the next day, and the day after, but did not find poop. And she was sticking like a burr to the eggs, except she was eating a tiny amount. Yesterday morning, after seeing little rock-like poops, I gave her some chopped egg and she finally got of the nest to eat that. I was putting probiotics and electrolytes in the water. I think (hope) she was drinking small amounts. I kept checking, but no poop. I know she would eat if I put a cup right in her nest, but I couldn't put the waterer in her nest.
She got out to eat a little feed this morning, then about 11:30, I heard a banging and she was running up and down the cage. I opened it and let her out. She went outside and started pooping, all this green, grainy, watery poop, but she was straining. She went to the water and drank a lot then tried to poop, I tried to give her some greens when she looked like she wanted grass, but she went and took a very thorough dust bath. Got up and pooped (or tried to) again. Green, grainy diarrhea came out, but she was still straining, and I had a bad feeling about this. Then she went back and hopped into the nest.

From my research, I am switching her to soaked chick feed with 3 drops of molasses. I guess you soak it an hour? Not sure. I'd also like to get oil into her, but aside from putting some sunflower oil on the feed, not sure.

WHAT else should I DO? I can't take her to the vet - the eggs are about four days from hatching. Suggestions would be appreciated.

Here is what I would do--others may have better suggestions. I would open her cage back up where she can come and go to eat and drink on her own. They will know when they need to go out a couple of times a day to eat a bit, drink, and poop. Some may even take a quick dust bath. By now she will probably growl at any other chickens that come near her. You only need to add water to feed, and stir it to soften it. Add lots of water. Give her a 1 time 2 tsp dose of mineral oil, mixed into a little very wet feed and plain yogurt. Egg can be added to encourage her to eat. That should losen things up.
When I have a very broody hen, I will get them out of the nest in the morning when I open the coop, and take her out into the yard. Then in late afternoon, I do the same. That way I know she is getting out at least twice a day.Sometimes, she has already eaten, and goes right back, but that is fine. Good luck on your hatch.

Thanks for the wonderful suggestions! The broody is probably being on the nest because she is one of the youngest and lowest order of the flock and others were kicking her off her nest before I blocked it off. I AM taking her outside and letting her do what she does. She is mainly eating grass and taking dustbaths. The mineral oil did the trick, I am making sure she eats some wet mash each day now. She is no longer straining to poop. {WHEW!} We bought some yogurt but the non-resistable add is eggs.

Back
Top Bottom