constructing a single chicken family unit for porch

Status
Not open for further replies.
A neat experiment, although not for me to do, is to change appearance of chicks and see how father reacts. I hypothize no change, he is imprinted on their voices instead of looks. He is imprinted somehow.

Quote:
Yup, me too! Keep up the good work, you have a captive audience!

indeed.

Even Sallie and Eduardo started small. They were hand reared as much as brooder reared which sets up for a different dynamic in respect ot interactions later in life.

Sallie
41527_dsc_0796.jpg

Eduardo as experimental subject. He did not cooperate much and was liberal in his application of stink eye.
41527_dsc_0792.jpg

SALLIES BROOD 3 NEST HAS BEEN BUSTED

This morning before heading to work, I snatched up a sick American game pullet of the front porch flock and used seringe to put an electrolyte solution laced with oxytetracycline into her orally. She was looking very bad and sleeping all over place.

41527_sick_pullet_ag_fluid_from_eyes_loss_appettite_swallows_a_lot.jpg

I was sitting in this chair when Sallie flew in from direction of tussock in background.

41527_sallies_clutch_brood_3_tussock_with_chair_in_forground_2011_august_23.jpg

I backtracked her flight and looked into the tussock thinking it was a pretty good spot for a nest.

41527_sallies_clutch_brood_3_tussock_with_house_in_background_2011_august_23.jpg

I looked about and finally found nest in top center. The nest contained 13 eggs.

41527_sallies_clutch_brood_3_eggs_13_2011_august_23.jpg

Sallie had scraped out a depression about 6 inches deep and lined bottom with fine grass blades.

She was off for about an hour before returning to resume brooding. She was pretty hard to see.
41527_sallies_clutch_brood_3_on_nest_13_2011_august_23.jpg

I collected eggs and placed Sallie in a pen to break broodiness. Eggs were taken to tadtkerson so incubation can be continued with expected hatch date to be around September 8. Based on prior experience, that is too late in season for such a late free ranged brood to put on enough enough size to survive winter without protection of barn. These guys will be brooder reared and kept in coops until next spring.

Last edited:
GETTING MORE AND BIGGER GRASSHOPPERS AT RISK OF MEETING MR. FOX

The front porch flock juveniles are earning the fescue shark name now. They are going out into feild through which Mr. Fox comes and goes then he visits for dinner and where Scoob does not have line of sight. Grasshoppers are abundant and plants not heavily grazed by chickens. Risk may actually be relatively low now since chicks seem to have handle on how to defeat Mr. Fox. All they have to do is fly horizontally a couple hundred feet and land either on house roof or in one of the larger trees. They are very capable now of such flights. Also when they fly back to yard and make a ruckus, Scoob gets up and checks going on. If Mr. Fox pushes issue, then he better keep straight where Scoob is lurking.

DO NOT LOOK BELOW IF YOU ARE A WUSS AS GRAPHIC!!!!

On Mr. Foxes last semi-successful visit he killed the runt of the red jungle hen's brood. He was less capable at almost all levels and only 1/2 the size of his siblings. This him a week or so ago next to his brother.
41527_rjf_x_game_runt_cocci.jpg

And after Mr. Fox did him in.
41527_fox_loss_rjf_x_ag_runt.jpg

Interesting to note that Mr. Fox dropped chick after killing him and tried to catch another. Briefly he tried to catch Eduardo who tried to distract fox by running in zig zags in front of him. Eduardo could have flown easily out of reach if fox got close. Fox was trying to catch more than one juvenile before leaving which made it so he left with nothing but nearly having Scoob's teeth in his butt.

RED JUNGLE HEN LAYING YET ANOTHER CLUTCH OF EGGS

Yes, she is at it again and in full blown molt. Only things that stop her from laying are either setting or brooding chicks under 5 weeks.

No probs with Graphic here.... Getting pretty used to seeing it.... sigh, not just recently too. I have had Birds of some sort now twenty years. Chickens, Parakeets, Finches, Carnarys.

That Oxytetracyclene (sp?) is pretty good all round stuff. Even topically.

perchie.girl :

No probs with Graphic here.... Getting pretty used to seeing it.... sigh, not just recently too. I have had Birds of some sort now twenty years. Chickens, Parakeets, Finches, Carnarys.

That Oxytetracyclene (sp?) is pretty good all round stuff. Even topically.

OTC works great when used only as needed and as directed. Sick juvenile already on upswing.​

Quote:
OTC works great when used only as needed and as directed. Sick juvenile already on upswing.

I used to use something similar when I worked in a very large pet shop. We had over 200 fish tanks too. Two of those were well over a hundred gallons. We had an Ichthyologist working there and he would prescribe accordingly.

I keep it around for the Horse and Goats. Definately be careful because they can become resistant and or what ever you are treating can....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom