constructing a single chicken family unit for porch

Status
Not open for further replies.
COCK BLOCKING

Interesting behavoir to note (See Diagram Below). Every time Sallie leaves nest she sneaks back in direction of flock. She makes the squawk produced after laying an egg, and is always covered by Eduardo when she returns. She solicits it each time. The satellite stags having no harem of their own try to entercept Sallie (and red jungle hen) before the females return to flock. Both hens can easily outfly the domininque cross stags but they seem easy catch while on ground. Neither hen seems to want the stags to cover them and Eduardo (cock) certainly does not like either. Sallie avoids by running, flying and moving towards Eduardo and going behind him so Eduardo is between her and pursuing stag. Eduardo steps into path of pursuing stag, faces off and puffs out his chest while holding tail high. Stag stops and rapidly turns away and if not quick enough Eduardo thumps him hard. Eduardo then turns around and Sallie solicits mating followed by Eduardo doing the deed. Arrangment I call "cock blocking" since the cock throws a block stopping advance of randy stag.

41527_cock_blocking.jpg

Sallie is attempting brood 4 despite being in full molt. Nest not found yet but I will be watching this weekend so it can be busted. Tadtkerson will incubate them as well. Hatch rate of brood 3 at Tadtkerson's less that 50%.

BIGGINS DOWN THE ROAD

The front porch flock has had two rival flocks with which it shares borders. One is made up of 50 or so juvenile and subadult dominiques, dominique crosses and a few games. The other is made of three dominiques (2 hens and rooster) with roost centered on dominique breeding stock pens. A third rival flock (4 roosters and 1 hen) now borders to north and belongs to neighbor. Birds of that flock are black shamo x Jersey giant, I think backcrossed into shamo a couple times. They are BIGGINS. Hen alone at least twice Eduardos size and roosters appear nearly 15 pounds. Somehow contact between front porch flock and this new flock has been avoided or at least combat signs not detected. Eduardo, despite being game, would get his butt kicked if not worse if he were to take one of cretens on. This evening I will attempt to observe interactions to see how flocks avoid contact.

EDUARDO TIDBITS FOR HIS JUVENILES BUT REJECTS POINT OF LAY (POL) FEMALES FROM RIVAL FLOCK

Females from rival flock move into front porch flocks turf when going after feed laid out. Same will attack Eduardos juveniles. Eduardo walks about tidbitting more than usual when rival flock females come into his territory but has made not efforts to court them. He does attack them between bouts of finding eats for his offspring.

Last edited:
perchie.girl :

Wow I would love to see a picture of that Shamo/Jersey Giant cross.

I will have to get permission for above.

PATTERN OF FLOCK RETREAT FROM OPEN AREA WHEN HAWK APPROACHES

Front porch flock now ranges north to south a distance exceeding 900 feet along gravel drive east of house. To east of that lies a fescue field that is about 6" deep. Birds go a good 50 yards into field to forage which takes them well away from all forms of cover. When Mr. Fox visits they fly back and land either on house or trees. When good Coopers hawk calls, they run back with juveniles taking lead and Eduardo following while looking back. Hawk can handle even 1/2 grown juveniles but Eduardo would prove to be a major fight at least. Eduardo gives hawk call but it is very high pitched and hard to hear. It seems intended only for flockmates. Other birds in other flocks and in coops give a much louder call. Eduardo is capable of same but does not do it now with his family.​

CHANGING DYNAMMICS IN RESPECT TO HAWKS

It is official, migrant Coopers hawks coming through and most appear juvenile. My outright vulnerable juveniles are all cooped and larger juvenile chickens have access to lots of cover, including space under car. Over last couple days the young adult roosters have also changed their behavior. They follow pullets and juveniles to cover but they themselves stand out in open when Coopers call. Only female Coopers seem interested in my chickens but even they can not perform a snatch and grab on free ranging birds. They could easily kill after a struggle but so many roosters standing their ground at the very least is intimidating. I know Eduardo would attack a Coopers but the larger young adult roosters are an unknown in their response.

DROPPING TEMPERATURE - FRONT PORCH FLOCK GOING DEEPER INTO HEAVY OVERGROWN PASTURE

Now that daytime temperature has dropped into the low 70's, the flock has taken to foraging a good 100 feet into the heavily over grown mixture of fescue and stick-tights of all sorts. Must be cool enough that insects are now easy to catch or birds themselves not getting too hot while foraging. All adults starting to shed contour feathers and new hackle feathers are beginning to replace Eduardos eclipse hackle feathers. All adults starting to look like crap. Cockerols starting to spend less times with adults. During much of day only pullets are with their dad. I can now distinguish hybrid red jungle fowl x games from pure games by former being smaller and having white "earlobe" showing.

Last edited:
LOW MORNING TEMPERATURE CAUSING FLOCK TO CONGREGATE IN SUNNY SPOTS AFTER FEEDING / FORAGING

Now that morning temperatures are starting to dip, the front porch flock is seeking out places near cover where the first sun rays of morning strike. Activities dominated by preening if not simply loafing with some dozing off. They are already managing for cold stress even when temperatures are in 50's. Chickens are about energy conservation to the extreme.

ROOSTING TOGETHER IN PREDATOR RESISTANT ROOST

The front porch flock roost very tightly and makes minimal noise as flying up and settling in. This is very important in that it reduces odds predators will figure out where the roost is located. Behavior of these guys contrasts greatly with the cohorts of juveniles that are not roosting with adults.

41527_front_porch_flock_tightly_packed_on_roost.jpg

Last edited:
So, do your chickens not leave a bunch of droppings under their roost? Seems like most domestic birds leave lots of droppings under the roost, and I'm wondering if yours have self-selected against this over the years.

Quote:
The leave all sorts of droppings. I was dodging dropping droppings as taking picture. The wet smooching sound gave me lead time to dodge. They have to poop like any other chickens.

I have some birds roosting in trees. They seem to move to new locations every few days. No intended selection on my part. Our birds, when they had a choice, and natural selection operated, would usually roost in a barn above manger or on hay rope a good 20 feet above the loft floor. Some individual hens would roost in same location every night for a decade. Roosters would do same every night for a breeding cycle.

Moving seems to be a function of location and percieved safety.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom