constructing a single chicken family unit for porch

Status
Not open for further replies.
RETURN OF WAYWARD COCKEROL

About three weeks ago, Mr. Fox made a run at the front porch and killed the runt red jungle fowl x American game cockerol before Scoob ran him off for last time. Loss of two other juveniles was noted from time of same visit by fox. One was a pure American game and other was a another jungle x game cockerol. During those three weeks, I counted juveniles at least twice daily always coming up with 10. Today after coming home from work I counted 11! The jungle x game cockerol had returned and is in excellent shape. He was not observed among the other subflocks during this time so he must have been elsewhere. I suspect he was staying either in a row of trees a hundred yards to east or in my woods to south (another 100 yards). Both locations outside observed range of front porch flock. Maybe the American game cockerol will return as well?

If like previous such happenings that I knew more about, then when Mr. Fox called last time, the cockerol made a panic flight into an area he was not able to readily find his way back from. I know he can fly 300 feet in a single flight easily and is very likely capable of farther, especially since we live on ridge where if he flew south or east, the drop off would greatly increase his glide scope to much farther than 300 feet. Finding your way home is a scary proposition if open areas you are not familiar with must be crossed. He likely roosted in trees during this time and acquired all his food from foraging. Water may or may not have been a problem as I have not scoped out all the puddles he might have found. With natural forage, he could easily have many days without water with no ill health effects.

Hi centrarchid,
I never heard chicken flies like a pheasant, and I looked for your photoes of Sallie and her husband Eduardo in flight, but I did not found any photoes of these flying chickens.

Can you please send me the photoes of your hybrid Red jungle fowls Eduardo and Sallie in flight (flying) ???

I appreciate the photoes.

Clinton.
smile.png

Quote:

Clinton,

I do not have photographs of flight, only movies. If you have not seen those, then do a search for FlyingChicken1000 or centrarchid1 on Youtube to find those. This winter I will attempt to make still photographs.

Flight not quite like pheasants, even with wild jungle fowl. Pheasants faster more straight line in flight. My birds are much more manuverable than pheasant.

Sallie and Eduardo are both game chickens, American game to be specific. Their images are throughout this thread. Hybrids also part of flock but underrepressented in photographs. That will be rectified when I find away to enable more uploads. My upload account is saturated.

THE HIGH COST OF A "I TOLD YOU SO" AND BYE-BYE RUNT

Tonight at about 2345 (11:45 PM) one of the juveniles from front porch flock appears to have been taken by a great horned owl. Flock has been roosting in a remote roost that is designed to be resistant to most predators, especially owls. Over last few nights nights about half of the juveniles have been roosting on top of roost where no protection is provided. Excepting for tonight, I would go out, climb up and replace birds into roost. It got to be annoying as chicks were acting like foolish human teenagers that think they are immortal. Owl at least attempted harvest and runt American game pullet can not be accounted for. Hopefully the runt will show up tomorrow but that will require some luck.

Scoob got all riled up by this but could do nothing as pullet was small enough for owl to fly away with.

Dang Sallie is trying to set yet another clutch. Doing this even while in full blown molt.

41527_sallie_molt_lateral_2011_september_12.jpg

Sallies weight is 1498 grams which heaviest she has ever been. This clutch is down by woods somewhere. Red jungle fowl also trying, but I found her six eggs in same location Sallie used last time. May try to incubate those. Eduardo's weight is 2152 grams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom