Ended Contest # 4: Edible Easter Contest for the 7th Annual Easter Hatch-a-long!

ronott1

A chicken will always remember the egg
Project Manager
Premium Feather Member
13 Years
Mar 31, 2011
Woodland, CA
My Coop
My Coop
Contest # 4

Deadline for entry is March 15, 2016 at midnight PST

Edible Easter

7th Annual Easter Hatch-a-long!
Contest Rules:

Contest Open to all BYC members in the Continental US
Must use Some Easter Candy and be made with edible materials (except the tray it's on)
Maximum of 2 entries per member
To submit your entries, simply post the picture of your display in this thread

Prizes:

1st: 3+ Svart Hona hatching eggs courtesy of @campingshaws

LL
LL

2nd: chicken salt and pepper shakers courtesy of @Cynthia12
s-l400.jpg

3rd: Custom chicken drawing courtesy of @Peep-Chicken
example of drawings:

LL

A panel of judges will determine the winner!

Time to let your creativity shine!​
Past Winners:​

madicakes

500x1000px-LL-cbb4c1b1_EasterCupcakes.jpeg

chiklee

350x700px-LL-c91bfc6b_024.jpeg

LadyCluck77
LL

Remember to Post your images on this thread

Good Luck!

If you have not joined in the Easter Hatch-a-long, join us here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1074649/the-7th-annual-byc-easter-hatch-a-long

Quote:
The winners of the Edible Easter Contest are....................

1st Place:

Blooie
LL

2nd Place:
IHeartPoultry

LL

3rd Place:
coopbuilder82

LL

Congratulations all of you!

Last edited:
Ok, here's my first entry:

My Easter Chicks, pipped and hatched today.

I made the eggs from candy melts and balloons. Peeps and Jelly Beans were bought.
I already had the “incubator” AKA - rice/vegetable EGG steamer.

:

Had hoped my eggs would be on time for the Easer Hatch, don’t know why but they all hatched today, way too early. Maybe I had the STEAMER set too high? Guess I need to go back to the Learning Center.

Was so excited to have a set of twins.

But there was an unusual looking Pink Chick in the hatch. May have to post a pic of that one under “What Breed, What Gender” forum?

Keep your fingers crossed for me that there are no roos.

I am officially breaking the ice folks- here is the first entry.
bun.gif
I made chocolate covered strawberries with my kids today, using white chocolate dyed pastel colors with food coloring, and regular dark chocolate. I won't tell you how many I have already eaten...

Mom lives too far away to borrow her vintage lamb cake pan, so I sculpted this lamb from rice cereal treat "dough".
Had to attempt it!

Last edited:
So I decided to make a 'Chicken cake.' I wanted it to look like a Golden Lakenvalder, a chicken I really wish I had haha. I believe their eggs are actually white but as far as I know Cadbury doesn't have large white chocolate eggs.
The body is cholocate cake, the head and tail are shaped from fondant, and the feathers are buttercream frosting. She's kinda fat, but I think she still turned out pretty well.

Okay guys and dolls. Here is my first entry. Everything is edible minus the stand. The basket nest is made of chocolate pebble rice crispy treats.. the flowers are made of dried pinapple and sour ribbons. Then I used good old easter candy. could be better but I rushed it a bit.

Mr. Pea:
ALL GLUTEN FREE
ALL VEGETARIAN

This is my entry, he's a peacock, observing some of his hen's eggs.

Made from:
"Feathers" Almonds painted with a food color, water, and powdered sugar mixture.
"Eggs" Store bought Easter candy.
"Eyes" Painted almonds just like the "feathers"
"Body" DIY microwave cupcake
lau.gif

"Head" DIY vegetarian fondant, painted with food color mixture.
If you have any other questions about how it was made or what it was made from feel free to ask
wink.png

Everything is edible except the plate and flowers.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Each and every feather had to be "painted" three different times...THIS TOOK FOREVER!

Then they had to be all put together, layered on the tail. I used toothpicks to help the feather's placement be precise.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Here are the final pictures:

Thanks for holding this contest!
ya.gif

Good luck to everyone who entered!
wee.gif

Edit: typo

Last edited:
Three bunnies in a field, hiding some Easter eggs. The bunnies are made of colored sugar cookie dough, cut with a cookie cutter. They are decorated with confectioner's icing and colored candies and jellybeans, with chocolate chunk eyes. The grass is made of candy floss, and the eggs are caramel cream eggs.

Oh my...here I am with my entry...biting nails...the kids and I had SO much fun coming up with ideas and working together so thank you to the creator of the contest for having such a fun online event! I found it was hard to capture just the right angle to show how it turned out so I'll put a few pictures.
Items used: Yellow Cake mix, Chocolate Cake mix, yellow peep, chocolate mousse peep, Whoppers Robins Eggs, chocolate rocks, pretzels, gummy carrots, coconut with green food coloring, icing, blue jello.

All things edible except the tray and the foil that is holding the jello stream and pond.

My partners in crime and our HUGE mess!

Back
Top Bottom