cookie tin bulb

amenfarm

Songster
10 Years
May 10, 2011
Chattanooga, TN
My DH made my cookie tin heater and it requires a 40w bulb base incandescent. I found some on amazon I think will work, just checking on what anyone else uses in theirs? wattage, or type of heat...

Last edited:
I have not made one but I think either incandescent or halogen in the 40 watt range would work. What type of water fount will you use with it? Metal or plastic?

I have a 40w candelabra bulb in my cookie tin water heater. I'm guessing it may go down to around 10 F before the water (in a regular gallon bowl just sitting on top) will freeze. I've had this thing for 3-4 years and haven't had to up the wattage yet and you are south of me so I'd start with 40w. I have 2 layers of pavers sitting around the cookie tin so that proably helps keep the cool breeze off the tin.

There are 2 sizes of the cookie tins. One is about 2" tall and the other is about 4" tall. I use the smaller one. If you use the 4" one, I'd proabably put a 60w bulb in it.

There is a reason not to use halogen for this, I don't remember what it is. I saw it while working on a version of a cookie tin heater. I ended up going with a tiny aquarium heater in a coffee can of water in an insulated bucket. I think the 8 or 15 watt light bulb in a dry tin would have worked too. Without the insulation I would have used a 40 watt or less here in the upper midwest. Where you are, I'd try a 25 watt or less first. If I could rig up a thermal sink around the tin (a second, bigger tin with sand or gravel to set the cookie tin in) (or bricks around even part of it), an even lower watt should work.

You may want a thermal cube. It will switch it on at 35 or so and off at 40 or so.

You don't need the water warm - just not frozen all the way across.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom